Is my poor combo fried??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Is my poor combo fried???

About a month ago I decided to test the famous phrase "You haven't heard a Marshall until you raise the volume up to 10" on my AVT150 combo. I selected the OD2 channel, raised the Gain to 10, the channel volume to 10, and finally the master volume to 10. I played for something like ten seconds and then I started sensing this funny smell like something was burning... It obviously came from the amp and I turned it off immediately realising just how much of a jacka$$ I am . I didn't play for a couple of days and then when I started again I always kept the volume at low levels. The amp sounded just fine and it still does today even if I raise the volume a tad more than the usual "home practicing" level. However, I can still smell a faint burnt smell coming from the speaker (but not from the circuit air socket).

Although as I said the amp seems to have suffered no tonal change after the incident (I'm not a judge anyway), I am afraid it may explode or something if in the future I try to raise the volume past a certain level. ANyone has any idea of what may have happened to the amp and if it's repairable or if it's no problem at all? I have no idea.

This combo can also be combined with an additional speaker which is sold separately and I don't have of course. Suposedly that's the only way to unleash the full power of the amp and at the moment I failed to realise that was a good reason not to turn the master to the max. I just thought, if the volume goes up to 10, it means I can try it! Stupid, stupid, stupid....

ANyway I hope you guys can tell me the consequences of my lame behaviour and if I should send it to the tech or not.

THX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:36 PM

I think the phrase refers to tube amps...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 03:12 AM

Most definately tube amps!

However, your amp would not go up to a level that would damage it. I suspect that the smell is just due to the increased heat produced by going up to that volume. I doubt it has done any harm.

Tags
tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode