Nate Perle necks, Ed Roman necks, Wizard 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Nate Perle necks, Ed Roman necks, Wizard 2

Hello:

I will start buying parts for a future project. And I decided it is best to get the neck first and then get the other parts.

I visit E-bay 2 or 3 times a day looking for a Wizard or a Prestige necks. I can only find Wizard 2. Some Prestige necks have surfaced in recent weeks but they are completely out of my budget. Another thing that bothers me is that I would like to do a hardtail guitar and everything I find on e-bay are necks for locking nuts (I already expressed that in another thread).

As I checked here and e-bay I found Nate Perle. He can do a neck for me with all my custom details I want except for the binding. He told he is not able to do that job at the moment.

I also checked Ed Roman page and he claims to have a huge variety of Original Ibanez necks but in order for you to get one, you have to ship them your body so they can find the exact replacement for it. Honestly, I don't like that idea.

My questions are:

1. Have anybody here tried Perle's necks. Is this a good investment or should I keep scavenging E-bay until something pops up?

2. I have an RG7420 and a PGM100. If I am not mistaken the PGM has a Wizard neck and I love it. I had never tried a Wizard 2. Is the Wizard 2 all that different or is it nonesense by purist? I checked the specs and I can only see a 2mm width difference, which I do not think should be such a great deal. I checked some threads here about the topic and besides the obvious difference in detail craftmanship no one really explained why the Wizard has better playability than the Wizard 2. Can someone re-explain that for me?

I'm on a limited budget so I would like to have the best info before I end up buying something that does not satisfy me later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Nate Perle necks, Ed Roman necks, Wizard 2

One thing everyone will tell you - steer clear of Ed Roman.

Wizard II necks are slightly thicker and rounder, with a slightly smaller radius fretboard. A good W II neck is nice and comfortable in my opinion. Not bad at all compared to the Japanese Wizards.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Ed Roman is a complete tool! Stay away...stay far away.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Ed Roman is a complete tool! Stay away...stay far away.
Just curious,

Whats so bad about Ed Roman?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 AM

I have a Perle neck on a Perle body, fits great, save for a teeny-tiny gap on the treble side, but that can be remedied with a shim.

It will take time if you order it from Nate. I ordered mine last year around the end of Aug, it wasn't finished until Nov, but it was worth the wait IMO.
Check with Rich @ Ibanez Rules, I think he may get some necks from time to time.

Ed Roman is a tool, avoid. Sims Custom is another one, do not even contact that dude!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death.by.G-string View Post
Just curious,

Whats so bad about Ed Roman?

He has the reputation of being a rip-off artist. For example, he was caught putting Music Man logos and Floyds on OLP MM1s, and selling them as Music Man guitars. Sterling Ball and his attorneys put a stop to that in a hurry.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Reviews: 4

While you are looking at Ed roman, I would also like to recommend to you Devries!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
He has the reputation of being a rip-off artist. For example, he was caught putting Music Man logos and Floyds on OLP MM1s, and selling them as Music Man guitars. Sterling Ball and his attorneys put a stop to that in a hurry.

Well if thats the case then he sure is a piece of sh*t.
Looking at his site i would never expect such a thing.

Another lesson learned,thanx for the heads up!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Reviews: 57

Oh Ed Roman... what a douche.

I once called him, back in the 90's, looking for parts for a Steinberger Trans-Trem. He basically told me to go F myself, and that if I wasn't a well into the six figures a year, rock-star type I could not afford the parts he had hoarded.

I could not believe that this guy was running a business after talking to him.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 PM

If you do a search you will find many threads regarding Ed Roman. All illustrate a less than reputable character.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I went into his store years ago and asked if I could talk to him. The reply was, "Not without an appointment!"

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
If you do a search you will find many threads regarding Ed Roman. All illustrate a less than reputable character.
Well i just did,..
and im gonna stay the hell away from him!

Tags
wizard , wizard 2 , wizard ii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode