Neck cleaning questions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Developer

Neck cleaning questions

Hey everyone!

So I took apart my Ibanez Arc300DVS which has a mahogany body and neck. My fretboard seems dull and dirty right now. I was just wondering what I should use to clean it?

I have Pledge (I've heard it's alright if used in small quantities, and I also have mink oil (It's the only oil I have right now, and i doubt it's meant for any type of wood, it looks like it's used for leather... but hey.... who knows...)

I really don't want to go out and buy lemon oil or whatever else, so I was wondering what you guys do!

Thanks,

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Re: Neck cleaning questions

Lemon Oil. Just go out and buy lemon oil.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Lemon oil. Just go out and buy lemon oil. PLEASE
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 AM

Reviews: 10

Some guys swear by lemon oil. But I'm not a fan of anything with a citric acid being used on my guitars bare woods. Regardless of post treatment.

I simply use murphy's oil soap and water solution. After things are clean some sort of conditioner if your fretboard still carries a dull appearance. Multiple applications depending on the neglect might be necessary.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:31 AM

Use what is designed to clean unfinished wood. I don't know how Murphy's Oil Soap would react to the glues for inlays. Just don't use Pledge.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuard75 View Post
Some guys swear by lemon oil. But I'm not a fan of anything with a citric acid being used on my guitars bare woods. Regardless of post treatment.

I simply use murphy's oil soap and water solution. After things are clean some sort of conditioner if your fretboard still carries a dull appearance. Multiple applications depending on the neglect might be necessary.
This is just plain bad advice
Do NOT use Murphy's mixed with water on your fretboard...EVER!!!

Direct from Murphy's FAQ: ( http://www.colgate.com/MurphyOilSoap/faqs )

"Q: How can a water-based cleaner be safe for wood floors, furniture, and other wood surfaces?"

"Answer: Murphy® Oil Soap is recommended for cleaning finished wood. It is not recommended for cleaning unfinished or waxed wood because the wood may be water-sensitive. Most wood flooring and furniture items have water-resistant finishes, and Murphy® Oil Soap is perfectly safe for use on these types of surfaces. If you're cleaning antique wood furniture, be sure to use caution since the finish may be worn. Always test first with plain water in an inconspicuous place. Murphy® Oil Soap should not be used on unfinished wood or on wood that needs refinishing."

Verus, do yourself the HUGE favor of buying a bottle of Weimann's 100% natural lemon oil......it's silicate free.

Ryc
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM

mink oil ?
sounds like you are supposed to rub it in your hair to attract females.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM

big thread about it here,

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f11/lemon-oil-3257.html
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:37 PM

MInk oil bad, Murpheys bad, pledge bad,

lemon or lindseed oil, GOOD.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:34 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
This is just plain bad advice
Do NOT use Murphy's mixed with water on your fretboard...EVER!!!

Direct from Murphy's FAQ: ( http://www.colgate.com/MurphyOilSoap/faqs )

"Q: How can a water-based cleaner be safe for wood floors, furniture, and other wood surfaces?"

"Answer: Murphy® Oil Soap is recommended for cleaning finished wood. It is not recommended for cleaning unfinished or waxed wood because the wood may be water-sensitive. Most wood flooring and furniture items have water-resistant finishes, and Murphy® Oil Soap is perfectly safe for use on these types of surfaces. If you're cleaning antique wood furniture, be sure to use caution since the finish may be worn. Always test first with plain water in an inconspicuous place. Murphy® Oil Soap should not be used on unfinished wood or on wood that needs refinishing."

Verus, do yourself the HUGE favor of buying a bottle of Weimann's 100% natural lemon oil......it's silicate free.

Ryc
Bad advice based on what? A general disclaimer from a manufacture's website thats clearly their to cover their @$$. Roofing hammers come with disclaimers also, carpenters still use them though.

Cleaning a fretboard with Murphys oil soap with some warm water on a damp rag and wiping it down is bad advise? I didnt recommend soaking the neck in a bucket of water. I didnt recommend to the OP using Murphy's Oil Soap on their guitar period. I stated it was what I used.

Straight from the Ernie Ball website. A demonstration video clearly using Murphy's Oil Soap. Its even used on a signature model that has a wax finish on the neck.

http://www.ernieball.com/eb-tv/produ...r-drew-montell
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Ive never tried lemon oil. I use bore oil, based on advice from rich. I find it works well for me.

http://www.beafifer.com/

I also followed rich's advice and use saliva to clean my guitars. Although that could be out of laziness...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Bad advice based on what? A general disclaimer from a manufacture's website thats clearly their to cover their @$$. Roofing hammers come with disclaimers also, carpenters still use them though.

Cleaning a fretboard with Murphys oil soap with some warm water on a damp rag and wiping it down is bad advise? I didnt recommend soaking the neck in a bucket of water. I didnt recommend to the OP using Murphy's Oil Soap on their guitar period. I stated it was what I used.

Straight from the Ernie Ball website. A demonstration video clearly using Murphy's Oil Soap. Its even used on a signature model that has a wax finish on the neck.

http://www.ernieball.com/eb-tv/produ...r-drew-montell
Seriously??

water in wood swells the wood.....on a fretboard, that is BAD for a plethora of reasons.

Quote:
Bad advice based on what?
Based on the manufactures instruction (not a disclaimer).If a manufacturer says "Don't use this product on unfinished or waxed wood" who's advice do you take? The manufacturer that knows the product inside-out, or an EB tech that (possibly) has no idea how it's made or why not to use it. For me, that's an easy decision.

If this method is your favorite Go for it!! I truly have no issue with you doing what you like......it's your guitar!! I do worry when you put out that this is an acceptable method to other players. IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. When giving advice to less experienced people, even in the guise of "this is what I do", it's always prudent to err on the side of caution and if your not 100% positive that your method cannot hurt another persons gear, it's best to say nothing.

Not that it makes a difference, but the spray cleaner used in the EB vid is cut with lemon oil........they've recently switched to orange oil for the same product. Either way...neither is cut with water. FWIW....warm water is even worse....it sinks into your fretboard even faster and deeper.....it would need AT LEAST a solid 24 hours to dry. Conditioning before that will likely seal in that water. If you don't like citrus based cleaners, thats understandable. Citrus oils can break down lacquer finished if not thoroughly cleaned....something I failed to mention in my own post. There are PLENTY of products available that contain no water or citrus. Maybe you'll want to look into them for your own benefit.

BTW....I've been a carpenter for 31 yrs. We don't use roofing hammers....roofers do.

Ryc

typical roofing hammer:

typical carpenters (framing) hammer:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Is murphys oilsoap safe to use? Or can I just use fast fret alone or is it ook to use it and oil soap (of course not al the same time lol)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Dude, read the thread, it plain as day.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 PM

How do these threads continue on the way they do???

I'll never get it......... HAHAHA

There is some debate about the acidity in lemon oil and fret corrosion. I have never seen it, possibly because i never keep my guitars long enough
I also think a damp towel (NOT wet) probably does no harm , i would rather not use it though
Personally i use the Gerlitz line of products and am very happy with it.
Fast fret is a string not fret board cleaner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode