Neck Pocket issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Angry Neck Pocket issues

Damn!!!!!! I am a magnet for difficult projects!!!!!!

This is the same body I was talking about in the clear coating thread. Thank God I decided to check this before I did the clear coating. I was expecting the neck to be sitting there perfect, like it does on the original body.

The neck pocket is too long. I was gonna do a natural finish on it. I don't think I can now if I have to fill that gap. (check the pictures)

I placed the neck, tighten the screws to the max (the holes fit perfectly), it has like 1mm space on the sides and about 3mm at the butt and does not sit flat on the base.

The neck is from a RG 7621 from 1999. Those are really hard to come by. I do not want to sand or make extra holes on my neck. I prefer to deal with the body.

Is this a common issue with replacement bodies?

See the pictures and tell me what should I do?

I am really mad with the situation. I have been postponing this project for almost 2 years now, and when I finally have the money to buy the body and some time to work on it I get this. So good for my first project!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Re: Neck Pocket issues

More Pictures:

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Reviews: 2

where did you get the body from? It looks like it was routed for a 2005 and later 68mm heel, not you 66mm 7621.

Do you have pics of the pocket without the neck in it??
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 04:15 PM

subscribed.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
where did you get the body from? It looks like it was routed for a 2005 and later 68mm heel, not you 66mm 7621.

Do you have pics of the pocket without the neck in it??
I will not say the name of the vendor because he is well known here. I do not like to diss people's business. And if there is not a fix I can do myself, I will try to negotiate with the vendor for an exchange or repair. So far he has provided excelent customer service.

Here is a picture without the neck on it:

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 11

It's not a dis to the vendor. You probably didn't specify what specs you needed, so it's actually an error on your part. Plus, there aren't an over abundance of venders here so I gurantee I could guess lol

And if you did specify what size you needed (doesn't sound like you did though) then contact the vender.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancap77 View Post
It's not a dis to the vendor. You probably didn't specify what specs you needed, so it's actually an error on your part. Plus, there aren't an over abundance of venders here so I gurantee I could guess lol

And if you did specify what size you needed (doesn't sound like you did though) then contact the vender.
I contacted him several times before ordering, I sent him the specs, and we are still in touch trying to find a solution. I'm looking for second opinions anyway.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Ah. Well if you sent specs there should be no excuse. You just don't seem to be that knowledgable beings this is your first project, so I assumed you hadn't. Nobody can really be of any help besides the vender. I guess you could modify the body but I'm never comfortable doing that.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah. Well if you sent specs there should be no excuse. You just don't seem to be that knowledgable beings this is your first project, so I assumed you hadn't. Nobody can really be of any help besides the vender. I guess you could modify the body but I'm never comfortable doing that.
I may have never done a project but before I decided to start this project, I have been reading this, other forums, and watching videos regularly for almost 3 years. And since I started playing 23 years ago, I always checked the specs of guitars before buying, you know, reading the catalog, websites, guitar magazines, all that tech stuff I had never needed to use until now.

I always paid someone to do stuff for me because 1. I could pay, 2. I had knowledgeable people with shops withing 15 miles to my home. But I moved 2 years ago and I can't afford to pay other people either.

I have a basic knowledge of what to do, but this neck pocket thing caught me completely off guard.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 PM

Didn't mean to offend bud. I'm no expert builder myself trust me lol I just am saying that it's very surprising that you have exact specs, yet your body was not made to those specs. I've never had that happen personally, very unfortunate especially on your first project.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Didn't mean to offend bud. I'm no expert builder myself trust me lol I just am saying that it's very surprising that you have exact specs, yet your body was not made to those specs. I've never had that happen personally, very unfortunate especially on your first project.
No offense was taken. I'm just venting my frustration here in the forum, trying to see if someone comes with a miraculous idea like I have seen so many times here.

I started this project with another body which I sanded too much and decided to start from scratch with a new body. My job barely gives me funds to cover my bills, so buying that body was a sacrifice, and when I try it, I find this issue. I do not have money to buy a neck that fits.

It is so dissapointing.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 PM

I can pretty much guarantee that if it was a vender here, and it was in fact their error, you will be taken care of.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 AM

Wow, that body looks like junk I'm sorry to say. It's issues go far beyond the neck pocket being the wrong width. The route isn't even close to straight.

I have a feeling I know who the vendor is but I'll stay quiet.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 AM

I was just about to say.. looks like the pocket flares out big time.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 AM

That neck pocket is atrocious, Looks like it was done freehand.

Tags
neck , neck alignment , neck pocket side shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode