neck pockets - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

neck pockets

for those that have built their own guitar, how did you do your neck pockets. I tried to make it too small and the slowly work my way to the right size, but it didn't work. So now my plan is to make it very slightly too big, then put wood filler in the sides and press the neck into it to get the right shape. Has anyone else done something like this?

since the best threads are the ones with pics, here are some pics of the work so far (the only thing that hasn't been photographed yet is our neck pocket thats been giving us trouble.)

http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...roject+Guitar&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 11:39 PM

What do you mean it didn't work? As kindly as I can put it, filling an oversized pocket is a bad idea. Neck pockets should match the neck tightly, but you shouldn't have to smash it in either, because if the woods expand you'll get a crack at the body.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

When I say "it didn't work" I mean I slipped and screwed up

in anycase, I dont mean to use the filler to make as tight as possible a fit, but it seems to be a good way to get as close as I can to the "perfect" neck pocket.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 02:14 AM

If you slipped, and there was like a small bite taken out of the pocket, you could fill that. But if you overshot it and the whole thing is loose, I'd rather see you make it flat, glue in a filler strip, and try again. Coating the whole side wall with filler is just kind of amateur. The fill can crack loose, too, since its in a high mobility area. There's more guitars with cracks around that area than anywhere else, even the trem stud area I'd wager. If you don't want to put wood in there, go ahead and fill it, but make darn sure it's a good filler, like an epoxy base. And don't try to mold the fill wet. Just get a lot on there and file/sand/route it after it's cured. Don't put the neck in there to squeeze the filler into the right shape either. It won't work. You'd have to put plastic wrap or wax paper on the neck to avoid adhesion. That would add its own dimension. Plus fill will usually shrink when curing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:57 AM

I agree with Frank about the shims. I'm working on a project where I'm fitting a neck into a pocket that is slightly oversized (maybe 1.5mm too wide). I picked up some super-thin basswood strips at a lumber store and glued them to the sides of the neck pocket to take up the slop. I'm not sure if all lumber stores have these strips. I think they're mainly for hobbyists (model airplane builders), and they come in 1/32" increments (that is, 1/32, 1/16, 3/32, and so on up to 1/4"), and they're sold in strips of 2-feet long by 4-5" wide. These are perfect for making shims for neck pockets or just about anything else. They can be cut easily with any sharp-bladed razor knife. So I cut two of the 1/32" pieces to fit, sanded 'em down slightly, used a little wood filler to smooth out the edges (toward the rear of the neck pocket), and the neck is now an absolutely perfect fit.
Bert
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 01:23 PM

My RG7620 has a slightly-too-wide neck pocket. I eliminated the play in the joint by creating a makeshift shim out of a few folds of paper and inserting it on the side of the neck pocket. It's been rock solid ever since.

If your pocket is just a hair too wide, that's a good option. Otherwise, the wood-shim technique described above would be your best bet.

Tags
neck pockets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode