Neck respray questions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Neck respray questions

I recently bought a '97 s540 with some finish damage on the back of the neck. I'm not sure how much it bothers me, but it would be nice to restore the guitar to like-new condition.

I don't think the damage goes all the way to the wood. I think I could lightly sand it, leaving a thin layer of the original poly, and spray a thin coat or two over the top.

My first concern is the serial number: I definitely want to leave the original decal intact. Will the decal lift or ripple if I spray polyurethane over the top? Does anyone have first-hand experience? I can always mask it, but that might be ugly.

Second, what type of polyurethane is the closest match for a stock '97 MIJ Ibanez? I will be spraying, I have a compressor and an HVLP rig already. I realize that a lot of people prefer oils, but I want to keep the original feel and appearance.

I prefer to DIY, and I'm pretty handy, but I really don't want to screw up with this guitar. Can I realistically expect to get a finish as good as the factory? Or should I go straight to plan-B and call a luthier?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Neck respray questions

Lone Phantom done it with rattle can sprays before. I would use any satin finish lacquer and leave it wet sand at 2000 grit without buffing.

You should be able to add and spray on the lacquer without the lacquer eating into the original coat though.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 AM

Reviews: 120

I sprayed on a satin spray on poly from the hardware store ( Cabots). Three coats and came up real nice. The neck was bare wood though, you might need to do that first.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

I really don't want to sand down to the wood! At least not all over. If I can't preserve the serial number, I'll just live with it the way it is.

Although if the factory coat is polyurethane (as I have read) and it hasn't been contaminated with silicone or anything, I think a new coat of poly should adhere just fine. I wish I could find a junk neck to practice on.

Tags
neck refinish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode