Neck Scarf Joint? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Neck Scarf Joint?

how does someone go about making a scarf joint like this?

I think the back of these necks look cool but what is the procedure for getting this effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:11 AM

Re: Neck Scarf Joint?

i don't think it's worth going for a scarf neck joint just cause they look cool. better off getting a volute or something.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:30 AM

Volutes are a better idea in general. The extra mass and the extra rigidity they add to the headstock will improve sustain noticably. I have 2 practically identical guitars, one is a 7 with no volute and one is a 6 with a volute. The 6 sustains much better.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 AM

Wink Re: Neck Scarf Joint?

I don't think a few grams more will add a significant mass to the headstock to generate more sustain, a nice fret job will in any case, but a more rigid and resistant to stresses neckjoint for shure.
Stefano
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:41 AM

The point of a scarf joint is to make a neck from 2 pieces not big enough for a 1 piece, add an angle to the headstock where the neck blank isnt thick enough, or to increase strength in the neck.
What you do is cut the neck blank at 14 deg (what Ibanez uses) flip the headstock piece over and glue it back on, and where the joint ends is where the headstock starts. That is, however, a very simplified version of it. You need lots of careful measurements to make sure it will work and you dont cut too much off.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 AM

Reviews: 34

there is a tutorial on projectguitar.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
there is a tutorial on projectguitar.com
Yeah but the tutorial on projectguitar would not make that nice looking laminate shape. Thats all I want to know how to do.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silwandr View Post
Yeah but the tutorial on projectguitar would not make that nice looking laminate shape. Thats all I want to know how to do.
Do what the projectguitar tutorial says, but instead of putting the piece under the end, put it over it. You'll need to cut a longer piece, but its basically the same.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501205
There's some pics there that should help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maialinodivino View Post
I don't think a few grams more will add a significant mass to the headstock to generate more sustain, a nice fret job will in any case, but a more rigid and resistant to stresses neckjoint for shure.
Stefano
Thats not why they add sustain, they add sustain because what kills the sustain on a guitar without a volute is, in part, the fact the headstock vibrates out of phase with the rest of the neck. The fat finger adds mass to increase sustain, but the reason it works isn't the extra mass in the guitar itself, its the fact it means the big panel of wood we DONT want to vibrate, called the headstock, is less easily excited into motion, adds less muddy overtones to the sound, and etc.

The reason it needs so much mass to do that is because what its doing isn't structurally reinforcing the joint like a volute does (the much more effective way of doing it, and also the same concept behind the sustain bows on certain crazy auerswald instruments and roland instruments), but its making it so the headstock is too heavy to move with only the vibration force transferred from the string. (Don't forget, from a sustain standpoint, the ideal, engineering method, would be to have a string where each end was completely and utterly immovable.)

This is also why some people don't see benefits from the fat finger on their guitars - Because a guitar with a volute already has an integral 'fat finger' in a sense, adding a fat finger just makes your guitar neck heavy.

This was explained to me somewhat in detail by Ged Green, a local luthier in manchester, when I went to him to spec out a custom neck.
SCIENCE!

Tags
ibanez , maple , neck , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode