neck stickyness, fret dullness - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

neck stickyness, fret dullness

Hello
I have an Ibanez rg with and edge 3 bridge, chrome hardware, greyburst finish and Dimarzio Evolutions (big Steve Vai fan). I love it with all my heart, but after about 11 months, have been experiencing some small, undesirable problems.

First of all, the frets on the fingerboard have lost their shine and luster, they are starting to look old and dull. I have tried a few things to possibly make them shinier and nothing has worked. I want it to look like how it looked when i first took it out of the box and the frets were as shiny as the chrome hardware. I miss that. Any advice would be helpful.

Also, the back of the guitar's neck has become sticky and moist-like (possibly from the perspiration on hands ?), simply put, I can't slide my hand up and down with no friction anymore. It has lowered the fastness of my once-brilliant neck to stickiness. The texture isn't like this on the back of the headstock next to the tuners, its still smooth and fast, because my hand is never there. Is there any technique for fixing this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:34 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: neck stickyness, fret dullness

For the frets: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_4.htm

And for the back of the neck: ... well I really don't know Maybe you're sweating too much? Maybe you don't clean the back of your neck after playing?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

What should I clean it with? Thanks by the way I appreciate it!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 PM

Reviews: 2

I just use the same rag that I use to clean the strings. That's enough for me. I've noticed a slight change on the back of my neck too, it's a bit more difficult to quickly go from the first fret to the last one, but it's not big deal, and that usually happens when I have played for more than an hour, and by that time I have already sweat a lot. Whenever I feel the neck is so "sticky" that I can't play well anymore, I quickly clean my hands, strings, fretboard and back of the neck to remove sweat. Then I can play again. Maybe this could help you too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Cool man thanks
Any other advice/opinions are welcome please!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 AM

Use #0000 steel wool on the frets, then get a rag and rub them down hard to buff them.

For the back of the neck what you can do is take that same #0000 steel wool, go over the back of the neck until you see wood being shaved off, as soon as that starts stop. Then use some tung oil (you can get this at hardware stores) and rub it on the back of the neck. Let it dry for 2-3 hours then rub it down with a rag to buff it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 AM

Wash your hands with soap before you play. Onceyou dry your hands they should feel dry and without any oils etc.

Ensure the room is cool and not warm to minimise sweat. (Not the case when live, but you don't play live as much as you play at home. That and I'm too pissed to ever care at that point).

When your hands sweat too much wash them again. Wipe the strings down when you've finished playing by going over them quickly all at once.
Then wrap a bit of the rag around a single string and wipe it up and down all the way a few times. Repeat for all strings. Once you've done that wipe all the frets to clean them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 PM

I use a Dremel & toothpaste(hey it works !) just gotta watch you don't heat them, other wise they rise outta the fingerboard & then yer f%cked
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 4

Polish the back of your neck with lemon pledge...

Tags
frets , neck , shine , smooth , sticky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode