Need help on finishing my neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Need help on finishing my neck

I sanded the clear coat off the back of my Js1000 neck. I didnt know at the time it was a bad idea, but what I was doing was trying to remove the YELLOW SHEEN that it had. I sanded it down to a nice pale maple look, but now the neck is unfinished. I talked to a tech and he said I should apply some tung oil to it 2 times per year. I was wondering if there is a finish I can apply to the back of the maple neck that will seal it for good, and still retain the pale maple look, kinda like the factory ibanez finish. According to the tech, tung oil has a natural yellow sheen to it. Although this is a cosmetic issue, I still do not want to remove the neck 2 times a year just to finish it. Is there any other way to get the neck coated like the ibanez factory pristige ones?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 06:07 PM

Why not just leave it bare? My UV neck has been bare for 13 years and it's fine...plays like a scalded dog in fact.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Why not just leave it bare? My UV neck has been bare for 13 years and it's fine...plays like a scalded dog in fact.
Does the bare maple get dirty? Just curious. The tech said if you dont coat it the neck could bow.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 12:24 PM

Yes it could get dirty but it can be cleaned if it gets bad. Rubbing alcohol or Naptha is the preferred method...I think Rich has some ideas on his site on how to clean it up or in the tech section here. I've got this old UVPWH from 91, had a 98 UV777BK, a custom 7 with a LACS neck that I sanded and an RG2027 which I also sanded down myself. Never had any dirt problems or warping issues...but I didn't soak them in water of leave them in inclimate weather/heat/moisture.

Not that it can't happen, but I really don't think you're going to have a problem. Tung oil is good solution as well, still get the feel of bare wood essentially, and I wouldn't even bother pulling the neck off to rub it down. Just slap some on there and go with it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 01:39 PM

Personally i prefer clear satin finish. I have never tried tung oil or unfinished because i don't like the idea of having to work on the finish every couple of months. With clear satin you slap it on and it is on. Slick enough for me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 04:54 PM

I like clear satin too. I used Minwax wipe on poly satin a couple times and it works pretty well and goes on easy.

Tru-oil and tung oil are other choices for a protected, yet rawer feeling neck.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis
Personally i prefer clear satin finish. I have never tried tung oil or unfinished because i don't like the idea of having to work on the finish every couple of months. With clear satin you slap it on and it is on. Slick enough for me.
Hey, could you give me some more information on clear satin finishs, reguarding all the different types of protective clear coatings? If you could tell me what brand/type of satin finish to get, and tell me how to apply it would be greatly appreciated! I've decided I dont want to mess around with tung oil. Does the clear satin have a yellow hue to it?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:05 PM

Don't know much about brands, i am just saying i prefer it as far as feel goes. The clear satin shows the basic color of the wood, pretty much clear. Ask your local tech or email a custom shop. I am sure lgm or ekg could prolly help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 PM

Birch Casey's Tru oil is a wonderful product. High gloss if you sand your neck smooth, and tough as nails. Plus it really brings out the beuty of the wood.
If you want a very white pale finish use a water based poly. The wood will stay almost completely white.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
Birch Casey's Tru oil is a wonderful product. High gloss if you sand your neck smooth, and tough as nails. Plus it really brings out the beuty of the wood.
If you want a very white pale finish use a water based poly. The wood will stay almost completely white.
Yes, but will it have a tough finish?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 12:52 PM

Brich Casey's is SUPER tough. It's a gun stock finish so it's made to be handled and used outdoors. The Water based poly is also tough. I have some on my hardwood floors and it's lasting just fine on there.

Tags
clear coat , custom shop , maple neck , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode