Need help with JPM project - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Need help with JPM project

I just bought this from Perle:

Attachment 4698

It's made of basswood.

To be honest, I have no idea how to finish it. I would like to do the multi-color scheme of the original JPM model, but I don't know how to go about painting it. I was also thinking about staining the wood different colors, but again, I don't know if it would work. I really don't want to screw it up. The other issue is that I live in an apartment in the city, so spray painting or using toxic substances is probably out of the question.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by morchiant; 07-12-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:29 AM

Re: Need help with JPM project

I've given this some thought over the last few days on the best way to tackle this project given your situation. Ultimately for a multi-colored pattern like this painting would be best but if you can't spray paint you may be able to pull it off with stains.

If you can get access to an area where you can spray, spay paint (you can use rattle cans just don't use krylon) and spraymax 2k for the clear. The basic process for painting is:
1. Apply sanding sealer and then lightly sand it level.
2. Spray a couple of light coats of primer then lightly block sand it level.
3. Do your masking and spraying of colors.
4. Spray your clear coat.
5. Wet sand going through the grits of sandpaper then polish.
* On your paticular guitar I would paint the grooves that make the design using a steady hand with a fine tip brush & black paint before spraying the clear coat.
There's a bunch of sources on the web for more detailed instructions on how to spray paint a guitar.

If you just can't get access to an area where you can spray then staining the different colors then applying a wipe on oil finish like tru-oil would probably work best. The main concern with this would be colors blending together where they meet. You do have the grooves in the design that will help keep the colors seperated. Basically you apply your color stains, just be really careful around the edges of the pattern where colors will meet. I'd probably do a black stain in the grooves using a fine tip brush to apply it. Then wipe on the oil finish. I've used tru-oil as pore filler and top coat with nice results. Then lightly level sand and polish it up. The oil finish won't have a full on mirror finish like you can get with a splay clear coat but will still polish up nicely.

I would start with trying the staining process first and if it doesn't come out good you can always paint over it.

The last option would be to pay someone to do it professionally for you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
I've given this some thought over the last few days on the best way to tackle this project given your situation. Ultimately for a multi-colored pattern like this painting would be best but if you can't spray paint you may be able to pull it off with stains.

If you can get access to an area where you can spray, spay paint (you can use rattle cans just don't use krylon) and spraymax 2k for the clear. The basic process for painting is:
1. Apply sanding sealer and then lightly sand it level.
2. Spray a couple of light coats of primer then lightly block sand it level.
3. Do your masking and spraying of colors.
4. Spray your clear coat.
5. Wet sand going through the grits of sandpaper then polish.
* On your paticular guitar I would paint the grooves that make the design using a steady hand with a fine tip brush & black paint before spraying the clear coat.
There's a bunch of sources on the web for more detailed instructions on how to spray paint a guitar.

If you just can't get access to an area where you can spray then staining the different colors then applying a wipe on oil finish like tru-oil would probably work best. The main concern with this would be colors blending together where they meet. You do have the grooves in the design that will help keep the colors seperated. Basically you apply your color stains, just be really careful around the edges of the pattern where colors will meet. I'd probably do a black stain in the grooves using a fine tip brush to apply it. Then wipe on the oil finish. I've used tru-oil as pore filler and top coat with nice results. Then lightly level sand and polish it up. The oil finish won't have a full on mirror finish like you can get with a splay clear coat but will still polish up nicely.

I would start with trying the staining process first and if it doesn't come out good you can always paint over it.

The last option would be to pay someone to do it professionally for you.
I'm with Mad here, I think staining/dying is your best option BUT you need to know that Basswood is very bad at taking stain evenly. It get's "blotchy" very easily- especially with light to medium colors. If you do go with a stain/dye finish, you HAVE to use pre-stain wood conditioner on the whole body. It's very easy to use and can be found in any hardware store that carries stains. It's also cheap to buy. The conditioner will help even out the colors by filling in some of the open grain before the color can get in to it.

I also would suggest wipe-on poly as a top coat for a newbie. It's the easiest to work with, it's pretty fool proof, and gives a decent, if not perfectly, glossy finish.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

My plan is to use sand and sealer and then use an alcohol based dye. I would like the color to be light blue, so that the dye particles collect in the carvings that make up the design, which will hopefully result in a darker blue outline. Then I will shoot a clear coat and hopefully have a beautiful guitar, but I guess it depends on how the basswood reacts to the dye.

As far as the rest of the guitar, I already have an MIJ RG570 neck to go with the body. Also not sure of the color scheme for the hardware. I'm thinking black, but maybe gold would look nice with the blue. I have a 7 string Ibanez, but I'm hoping this will be my main 6 string. I'll slap some Crunchlab/Liquifires in there and this thing will be a beauty. I hope. In any case, this is a fun project and definitely a learning experience.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:12 AM

be sure to post pics of your progress!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:28 AM
SYL

I've always loved these bodies but never pulled the trigger - good luck with it as the suggestion above sounds amazing

Tags
basswood , finishing , ibanez , jpm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode