Need help with my RG1570 neck adjustment - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Need help with my RG1570 neck adjustment

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and checking around for helpful infos.

I am living in a small town where has no good guitar repair shop or luthier. So I need to handle all my problems by myself.

I got my the RG1570 Japan made/2008 as second hand (everything is original on it is not moded). There was no problem when I got it. It just needed to be clean and changing strings. So I changed the strings. Everything was ok but I wanted lower action (medium/low) so I first tried to tighten the stud bolts on trem, but I got buzz. I thought that it needs adjusting on the neck. I added some relief by turning the truss rod bolt to the left. I got more relief but not enough. I've loosened the truss rod to the point that the truss rod feels completely loose. Even if I keep loosening it further it obviously doesn't do anything (like running idle) I don't want to turn it more as I am not sure if something goes wrong on truss rod shaft.
I feel like it needs more relief, but the rod not allows me to that as it loosened all the way.

Could you please help me about how to setup my guitar?

I fret the first and 14. fret on the low E as the manual of ibanez tells. The measurement of gap at the 8. fret around 0.4 mm. Seems OK but I still get buzz on the strings

I am really get stucked. I really need help, because it is not possible to find someone here to get it repaired

Last edited by beryl; 03-19-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 03:15 AM

Re: Need help with my RG1570 neck adjustment

Everything you need to know about setup is detailed on Rich's website. If you are still stuck after that come back

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

I've already checked ibanezrules.com. There were very useful info. Actually before I tried adjustment on mine, I had read what he said about neck adjustment and action and applied.

As I applied all the things like loosening truss rod completely it doesn't do anything. Sure I got some relief on the neck and the gaps seems to be OK as written on ibanezrules.com. But I still have buzz. I can get rid of it by rising the stud bolts maybe. but the action will be impossible to play
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:51 AM

Beryl, Ankara is a city of 4+million. You should be able to find a good store to help you with this. Check the basement floor of one of the pasaj near Onur Çarşısı (I don't remember the name of the pasaj but it is one of the ones near Izmir caddesi that sells sports shoes and the like), there was a very good repair store with very affordable prices when I used to live there. They had fixed my scarf joint crack for a ridiculously low price of 30-35$ if I remember correctly.

Learning to do it on your own is a great thing so take your time and make small adjustments at a time and you should be really ok. Good luck.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Banned

What KissTheApex wrote.
Also write down all your numbers as per Rich's site, not the ibanez manual. Also if your neck has the relief you want, give it some clockwise tightening to make the truss rod back to action.

My numbers are :
- relief 0.15mm neck relief with 1st and 24th frets fretted
- action @24th fret high E : 1mm
- action @24th fret low B : 1.4mm

no (major) buzz
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
Beryl, Ankara is a city of 4+million. You should be able to find a good store to help you with this. Check the basement floor of one of the pasaj near Onur Çarşısı (I don't remember the name of the pasaj but it is one of the ones near Izmir caddesi that sells sports shoes and the like), there was a very good repair store with very affordable prices when I used to live there. They had fixed my scarf joint crack for a ridiculously low price of 30-35$ if I remember correctly.

Learning to do it on your own is a great thing so take your time and make small adjustments at a time and you should be really ok. Good luck.
kissTheApex, I am a wellsite geologist working for a petroleum company. I am from Ankara but now I live in Batman for three years I know that shop but It is not possible for me to go there before end of June. Also I want to learn how to do it for this kind of situations. Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
What KissTheApex wrote.
Also write down all your numbers as per Rich's site, not the ibanez manual. Also if your neck has the relief you want, give it some clockwise tightening to make the truss rod back to action.

My numbers are :
- relief 0.15mm neck relief with 1st and 24th frets fretted
- action @24th fret high E : 1mm
- action @24th fret low B : 1.4mm

no (major) buzz
panix, thanks for your reply first. I will check my numbers as soon as possible.
What I want to learn that It is possible to give it more anti-clockwise tightening. I dont know if the shaft has two-way. I am curious about if the truss rod feels completely loose like mine, is it possible to tighten it further. If I go further, there will be a point on the rod's bolt or not which is not loosy.

Like you said if I make clockwise turning it makes the neck more flat so the action will be less but the buzz will comes more.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 PM

Small world. I studied petroleum engineering in Ankara!

Take your time and make small adjustments and you'll be fine. A little bit of buzz is ok and usually doesn't make it through the amp, but I'm not sure if you have one with you in Batman. Take it slow and follow Rich's setup guide, including the tremolo setup. Do you have a caliper and/or feeler gauges to take reliable measurements? It really makes a difference.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is a really small world. Hope the days in Ankara were good for you.

Do you know RG1570 has two way or one was truss rod.
If I try loosening the tuss rod's bolt more, will I feel the resistance again on the wrench? (as I said it feels completely loosy) But when I tighten it I can feel the resistance and the neck goes flat
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:23 PM

I don't know for certain, but I would guess it has a one way truss rod from what you're telling. With the two way truss rods I have the tension never goes away no matter which way you're turning the truss rod nut. On the single action truss rod I can take the nut completely off the rod if I back it out enough.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 11:05 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
I don't know for certain, but I would guess it has a one way truss rod from what you're telling. With the two way truss rods I have the tension never goes away no matter which way you're turning the truss rod nut. On the single action truss rod I can take the nut completely off the rod if I back it out enough.
This^^^

All Ibanez have a single action rod from the factory. If your TRN feels extremely loose, you will not get any more change in relief by backing it out more.

What your describing sounds like your neck is in backbow. This seems highly unlikely with such a relatively new Prestige, but not impossible. Have you owned the guitar from new, or was there a previous owner?

The best way to find out whats going on is for you to remove the neck and take some measurements. You'll need a PERFECTLY straight edge thats long enough to go over all 24 frets and a good set of feeler guages. It would also be helpful if you can find, or make as I did, a notched straight edge that you can use to compare the straightness of your frets against the straightness of your fretboard. This is what a notched straight edge looks like.

http://www.stewmac.com/product/image...raightedge.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mt0W_11fLM
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Have you owned the guitar from new, or was there a previous owner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beryl View Post
I got my the RG1570 Japan made/2008 as second hand (everything is original on it is not moded). There was no problem when I got it.
RGTF and other ppl say it is single action rod, in which case there is no way that further counter clock-wise might have any effect.

Treating excessive back bow would mean much heavier gauge strings or a trip to the tech, which again is a tedious work.

Are there any extreme environmental conditions where you work? Humidity? Temperature? All this might have smth to do with the neck back bow.

Anyway, I would suggest again getting the feel gauges and write down the numbers, also your current string gauge.

Last edited by panix; 03-21-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

RGTFanatic, Yes I got the guitar second hand. But It hasnt got any buzz on any fret. After I change the stings it comes out. I change the setting on neck I thought that I could manage and also learn how to do it on my own for future changes. I understand what you mean by removing the neck and taking some measurements for a perfectly straight edge. But I dont want to get more risk as you may guess that I am a newbie on setting up a guitar. But If I cant stand with the buzzy sounds, I may try and take my chances.

panix, sorry for being late to give the numbers. We got gas kick from the well and it seems everything is under control so I may have some rest.

I setup the guitar again with a caliper on my hand.
I give a 0.5mm relief on 9th fret
String action on low E @ 24th fret:~2mm
String action on high E @ 24th fret:~1.92mm

now I've little buzz on the strings from 6th fret to 15th fret. I dont want but Iit will be acceptable for me until I go to Ankara

If I cant bear with it in a few days. I will try again and again

Actually with this statement of guitar I feel like this action is high for me. But if I go lower on stud bolts there will be too much buzz. On the other hand if I go lower relief like 0.4mm, Also I got buzz again. I find this statement little bit acceptable.

Do you have any suggestion for going lower action without getting buzzy?

Oh by the way thanks for your interest.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:16 AM
Banned

Admittedly your action is pretty high. What is the profile of the buzz? Does it happen on soloing? Bending? Or strumming? On which strings?
Have you measured your relief on all strings? Or just low E? There might be some mismatch between high E and low E, giving those crazy buzzing under high action, which in practical terms is called : warped.

Generally, having such high relief and high action while still buzzing would only have a meaning if the buzzing happened on the last frets, not 6->15. Except if the last frets are faded.

Anyway, I take it that your truss rod works good. It is normal to have 0.5mm with the truss rod losened all the way. So, why don't you try tightening to get a relief of e.g. 0.1mm, and then measure your action again, and slightly raise the bridge. I hope you will have better playability with less buzz.

So, pls, :
1) give us the string gauge
2) describe the profile of the buzz
3) measure for the case of warping
4) do the last setup I explained and report your results

Do not be afraid, your guitar will be fine in the end, one way or another!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok I will try tightening it to 0.1mm. As you may guess its hard to measure it even by a caliper. Bur I will go and try for 0.1 or 0.2mm relief.
I use Ernie Ball Super slinky 9 to 42 custom gauge 2223 (pink package) by the way I didnt like them If I compare with my earlier elixir nano web coating strings. it slightly changed color in 3 days :/

Anyway, I think I understand all about the setup. Now I will try my best to apply it.

the hard thing is about measuring the little gaps as 0.1mm. As you said because of the gauge of string from Low E to High E there might be some mismatch between high E and low E (because one is 0.42 other 0.09mm) I will use them to measure the gap on relief besides caliper Using caliper to much wtih those little gaps makes my eyes bad

you encourage me about trying again

I will post the last measurement when I get less relief without/acceptable buzz

PS: when did you graduate from METU, maybe I know adn working with your friends from there. Because I work for national company where most of them work here after gradute
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beryl View Post
I will use them to measure the gap on relief besides caliper Using caliper to much wtih those little gaps makes my eyes bad
I thought wrong about the stings gauge. 0.09 is "inch" not "mm"
I will calculate that measurements as mm

Tags
action height , neck adjustement , rg1570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode