need help: strings getting caught on fret edges - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

need help: strings getting caught on fret edges

yeah, its a bit of a pain. The baby E strings constantly gets caught on the edges of the fret somewhere between the 21'st and 24 fret. For instance, if I depress the tremolo, sometimes the baby string will go off the board slightly, and stay caught on the edge of the fret.

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem?

I know vai has a problem with the strings getting caught under the pickup, hence the konx tape. My problem is just the frets though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Vendor

It shouldn't get caught under a fret because there should be zero gap or anything sharp enough there to catch and hold the string. Look at the fret end and determine what's wrong
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

all the way along the lower edge of the fretboard [underneath the actual playing surface], the frets protrude slightly. there doesn't seem to be a gap b/w the fret and the fretboard, but the frets seem slightly long. If you slide your finger along that part underpart of the fretboard, you can feel the protrusion of each fret along the fretboard, all the way along the neck. The protrusions are relatively sharp, and I can easily see how the strings are catching on them.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

of course, I'm pretty afraid to take a file and file them down...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Vendor

Sharp fret ends, I wouldn't advise somebody that hasn't done it before to do a VWH for their first gig although it is relatively easy. Have a local tech nick it or send the neck off to Jeremy to sort
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

do they have to file them?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Vendor

You could try leaving the neck in a sauna for a day to swell it, you might end up with more problems that sharp fret ends though
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

hehe.

is this a common problem rich, or is it rare?

I always noticed that the fret ends were a tad sharp, it bothered my hands at first, but I've since easily grown accustomed to it. Anyway, I wonder if any one else who buys jems has this problem
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Vendor

Something I have to address on a good 50% of used guitars and about 20% new unfortunately.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

what are the steps you would go through to fix it rich? If your detailed enough, I might be able to pull it off with my brother, who's pretty handy

i suspect this trivial job will cost me an arm and a leg at the shop...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Vendor

That's a full tech page write, no time today for that and I should accompany with pics of course. I'll try and get to it soon if you can hang on a bit
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

super!

Pm to let me know...if you'd like I'll remind you but I don't want to brake em'.

you rule
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Vendor

If you don't hear within a week or 2 drop me a reminder, I'm sitting on a full plate and have been for some time.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

m'kay
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 08:36 PM

Frets on Jem7v

Yeah, I just got my Jem7vw back today. The frets had gotten crazy rough on the sides of the neck and the guy I have work on it filed'm down. When I first saw my guitar today, I freaked out! It was like having a kid who's arm needs to be amputated! it has to happen but it still sucks. Thing is he filed'm down alot so there's not any real space between where the string comes straight down or off the fretboard onto the beveled edge. Sux cause I have to make an audition tape and my guitar is going nuts. Have any of you ever refretted a Jem and did it come out as well as it did when you bought it new? mine new was perfect but now it just seems eh. again back to the kid analogy, its making me sick thinking about it. My tech does a good job, i think i'm just worrying and need to get used to it.

Also anyone know if its possible for Pickups to lose sensitivity? Especially when it comes to tapping with my picking hand, it just seems dull and the notes don't come out as well as they used to, driving me up a wall.

thanks
-Nik

Tags
rosewood board , rosewood boards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode