Need help with tone - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Need help with tone

I am starting this thread because I currently have a guitar that I have tried a few things with, and I just can't get it to sound right. I have an RG1420 that sounds incredible. I am 1000% happy with the tone of this thing. It has the stock pickups (V6) but I don't want to change anything because it just sounds killer.

So, I also have a Carvin Bolt+. It is alder with maple neck and board. I have used the stock Carvin pickups and a JB in the bridge and both pickups had the same problem... It sounds really compressed and somewhat fizzy in the mids. I HATE the compression. It is also a bit woofier in the lows. My Ibanez has none of this whatsoever.

I am debating buying some Dimarzios for it before I just give up on it for good, but I just don't know enough about this to know what to get. I know the V6 is ceramic but not huge output, but it's enough for me. What exactly will get rid of the compression? I can adjust the EQ on my amp as much as I want, and it changes tone obviously, but that compression is still there. I don't know if I should look for a pickup with a ceramic magnet, high or low output, low mids, high mids... No idea.

FWIW, my amp is a Carvin V3M which has been re-tubed with JJ's in the power section and Tung-Sol's in the pre-amp section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 AM

Re: Need help with tone

So it sounds like you enjoy the sound of a warmer pickup with responive mids, a smooth high end and booming bass?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 AM

You are describing what every SD pickup sounds like to some extent, they definitely have an, umm.. *character. You either like it or you don't, you obviously don't.

Try some Dimarzios, or bare knuckles, or Gibsons, Bill Lawrence, you get the point. Pups have a HUGE amount to do with what you hear from the guitar, play around and find what works for you.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
You are describing what every SD pickup sounds like to some extent, they definitely have an, umm.. *character. You either like it or you don't, you obviously don't.

Try some Dimarzios, or bare knuckles, or Gibsons, Bill Lawrence, you get the point. Pups have a HUGE amount to do with what you hear from the guitar, play around and find what works for you.
^

+1.

You could start with putting the V6 in the Carvin and just try it out, see wat it sounds like.
Then you have something to go from.
You probably still want to go for a "warmer" sounding pu (then the V6)because of the maple and ash.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
So it sounds like you enjoy the sound of a warmer pickup with responive mids, a smooth high end and booming bass?
I would agree with that. I mainly play thrash type metal with these two guitars... Megadeth, older Metallica, etc. For example the ending riff in For Whom the Bell Tolls, those power chords just sound so compressed and fizzy. I just don't like it, at all. With my Ibanez they sound great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post

I think I will try some Dimarzios, I really hope this solves this problem but from what I have been reading, it should solve most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death.by.G-string View Post
^

+1.

You could start with putting the V6 in the Carvin and just try it out, see wat it sounds like.
Then you have something to go from.
You probably still want to go for a "warmer" sounding pu (then the V6)because of the maple and ash.
Well, the V3M is a really dark amp, so I don't need to go too warm I guess.

Any suggestions from anyone? I usually keep my Carvin in Eb or drop C# also. I was thinking something like an Evo2, CrunchLab or even Super Distortion for the bridge (my main concern). I also have another RG with an 81/85 set which I have the same problem, but it's not as bad. I think I will try D-Activators in that one eventually. You guys are making me feel better though, I was *this* close to putting the Carvin on Craigslist last night... I will at least try some Dimarzios first.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM

If your a metal man, get the original Tone Zone, not the Air Zone.

Tags
1420 , 1421 , carvin , ibanez , tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode