Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Need replacement for black foam material inside Edge Tremolo front route

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  pingfloid 
#1 ·
I have a 1989 540R in Jewel Blue. At some point the black padded material that's in the tremolo route cavity on the front of the body was removed. I'm guessing it probably started to disintegrate and was removed. I'd like to restore it to how it would have looked when new. Does anyone have suggestions on what I could stick in there or if there is an exact replacement available.

In case it's not clear what I'm talking about I've attached a picture.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the links. Looking at pictures of various 540Rs of similar vintage on the web, it looks like most are missing the foam. I'm guessing over time the adhesive deteriorated and the foam fell out. Or perhaps some left the factory without the foam (doubtful). But it's definitely supposed to be there as can be seen in the catalog pictures from '87-'90. Seems easy enough to fix.

#8 ·
UPDATE! I went to Michael's and found this thin sheet of black foam with adhesive backing for 0.99 cents. I cut out a piece approx. 2.75" x 1.5" and it fit right into the space. Looks just like new and I didn't even have to mess with a spray adhesive. Plus I have enough left over for, like, 10 more guitars. :smile2:

Thank you everyone for your help and for steering me in the right direction. This was a much easier project than I anticipated.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
I'm sure it was mostly aesthetic. The finishing in that spot is a bit rough and the labor it would take to make it look nice and match the rest of the guitar (such as on the JEM) would likely have increased the cost. So sticking a piece of adhesive foam in there would have been a cost effective way of preserving an overall neat appearance. And yes, it does slightly limit the amount of up-travel on the tremolo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.