Need some help with a 3-Way Strat Switch - ...on a Fender St - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Need some help with a 3-Way Strat Switch - ...on a Fender St

Hi everyone,
I need some help here...
Yesterday i bought a DiMarizo 3-way switch to install in my Fender Strat (which is using 5-way switch).

But i can't find the wiring diagram for 3-way switches on the DiMarzio website

Anyone can help me?
I need the wiring diagram....

My pickups on the Strat : DiMarzio YJM (Neck) , stock Fender (Middle) , DiMarzio HS-3 (bridge).
So the switch will only select 1 pickup at a time.

Thanks in advance!

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 09:31 PM

Need some help with a 3-Way Strat Switch

I know nothing about the wiring, but I would give anything for a 3-way switch and an extra volume knob! lol *That way you get all 7 pickup combinations:

neck (switch)
bridge (switch)
middle (knob)
neck-middle (switch-knob)
middle-bridge (knob-switch)
neck-bridge (switch)
neck-middle-bridge (switch-knob)

I saw it in a magazine a long time ago and wanna do it! lol
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 09:32 PM

Actually, you just wire it up the same way you'd wire up the 5-way, as they're almost identical switches, except that the 5-way has the detents in the mechanism that allow the in-between positions... So, wire up the 3-way, and it'll select just one at a time, as you desire.
=]
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from steve on 5:32 am on Feb. 21, 2001
Actually, you just wire it up the same way you'd wire up the 5-way, as they're almost identical switches, except that the 5-way has the detents in the mechanism that allow the in-between positions... So, wire up the 3-way, and it'll select just one at a time, as you desire.
=]
Cool~~
So i will juz follow the same wiring for both 3-way and 5-way!
*unpacks soldering equipment*

Thanks!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 10:13 PM

My pleasure. One of the things from long ago that fascinated me when I realized the near-sameness of the 3 and 5-way switches.
I actually eventually read something somewhere that said that the original Str*ts had 3-ways in them, and folks would do a little bending and notching in the pickguard, and force the 3-way to stick in the in-between positions for that special sound...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Hey Steve, i completed the 3-way switch wiring already!
I even swop the middle tone knob to control the bridge Pickup

But the 3-way switch feels kinda stiff, any tips to smoothen it?

James
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 01:09 AM

Good deal - good to go.
As for the stiffness, that for one thing is the newness of the switch. That, and it has to travel a lot further to get to the next notch, so it's 'different' in feel.
However, just working it in will help.
One other thing that might make a small difference is a spritz of contact-cleaner on the contact points at the back/inside of the switch - they may be resisting the levering action a tad. Try a touch and see. You probably won't notice much or any difference from that, though.
Is the lever binding in the slot at all?
There is a more drastic way to loosen it up, but I can't really recommend it - but let me know if a spritz of cleaner doesn't help, and perhaps you'll choose to dig a bit deeper (bit 'o' bending... =])

Tags
bridge pickup , fender strat , pickup combination , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode