need your help guys in obtaining info on this 'smear' finish - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

need your help guys in obtaining info on this 'smear' finish

hi guys
havent posted here for quite a while,so do pardon me if i have posted this topic in the wrong section..all apologies in advance.

i need a big favour form u guys.i need ur help on this.i am currently doing my own custom guitar and now its in the finishing stage.
i need to ask u guys whether u have seen JAMES TYLER BURNING WATER GUITAR.have u guys seen the finish?its like a metallic smear ..any one of u knows how its done? suggestions? views?
http://www.tylerguitars.com/burning_water.htm

in some ways,its like a jem swirl went out of control!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:02 PM

Strange finish - it looks to me like he's either poured something like paint stripper over the finished (painted) guitar and just scraped off some of the paint, or sanded through the paint with a power sander or grinder. Either way it looks like it's just different layers of top-coat, primer and wood showing through in different places - hard to tell exactly though without seeing it in the flesh!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 06:00 PM

I also thought it was just parts of the finish stripped off, but then I noticed he mentioned it's metallic...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 07:47 PM

If James Tyler himself can't remember how he did the finish, how is anyone else supposed to figure it out, other than by guessing or by trial-and-error? I think you'd need a really good look at the instrument (in person) to even hazard a guess.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:51 AM

How about if you painted the body in metallic silver first, then that yellow, then the red, and then sanded back through the red/yellow in certain places to let the metallic show again. I think that would work, although you'd have to be careful not to sand through the metallic aswell....

Tags
custom guitar , jem swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode