New build: Warmoth Partsocaster - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

New build: Warmoth Partsocaster

I decided that I need one honest to goodness SSS guitar and rather than buying a ho hum regular Strat, I decided to build one with Warmoth parts. Right now I'm still at the gathering parts stage, but here's what I have so far.

Body is solid alder with a quilted maple top. The finish on this is called Jungle Burst. I'd been considering doing a very similar custom build with the same finish, possibly with a flame maple top, but with a swamp ash back and their contoured heel. Warmoth's pricing kind of encourages you to buy their Showcase stuff and then they had a short lived 20% off sale (sales are almost unheard of for them) so I jumped on this body.

The trem is a Gotoh EV510T-FE in black. Also have a set of black Gotoh EPR-2 strap locks and I'm waiting for some more hardware to show up from Japan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:09 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: New build: Warmoth Partsocaster

Beautiful body. That is gonna be a stunner. There was an Ibanez custom from Simms on the auction site not too long ago just like that. I put in a best offer and someone snatched it for full asking price. Are you going with a maple board? Perle has a neck with maple board and green dot inlays and fender style headstock.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:25 AM

That's stunning. Do you have a neck for it yet? Are you going maple fretboard, rosewood, ebony?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 AM

That's a stunning body Jesse.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. This is the neck (not my pic). It shipped yesterday and is supposed to arrive Friday.

Again, I had every intention to build a neck to my specs, then literally the day I went to do that, they released four all ebony Strat necks. I saw that thing and was like oh ****...

This is definitely going to alter my pickup plans. I don't even know if I've seen an all ebony neck before? This is the "Pro Construction" neck with the double-expanding truss rod and 10-16" compound radius. It has the "Standard Thin" profile, which is supposed to be like a modern American Strat.

As cool as that looks with no inlays, I think I'm going to try and do some side dots on that. I have some 3mm gold MOP dots. Since they're so small, I think I can put them in and bring them down flush to the board with something like a fret end file, without destroying the board.

From a different thread, this is a bass with the same type of ebony on the headstock. Something like this is my idea for a logo.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 07-18-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Reviews: 2

Looking at that neck and body on the same page......You NEED gold EVO wire and hardware.

The B/W/B pickguard isn't working for me for some reason. I'd rather see something like an aged white pearloid with parchment knobs and pup covers........that's just me though.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Damn, not a bad idea about the gold EVO wire, but it's too late I already went with stainless. We need to talk more about frets next weekend.

I saw a picture of this body with a white guard and it did not look good. You're seeing more white than there really is because of the protective film and because there aren't things like pickups and screws blocking most of it, but I'll see how I feel about the B/W/B once it's assembled. I could see going to just all black. I'm actually not thrilled about the gap between the guard and the trem as is, so this guard may not last forever.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:35 AM

Reviews: 2

Yeah, you may be right about the guard..... you never know til it's all together.

So, all in, how much do you figure your going to spend on this?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Oh I need to add this up. Not cheap I can tell you that. I have over $1000 into it already. That's what happens when you choose all sorts of high end stuff
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 05:35 PM

Very nice man. It's always a financial loser when you are doing a build but it's so worth it on a personal level. I took a beating on my SG customizing, my GMC with an ebony board and pyramid inlay 7 string and a strat and tele I had done when I sold them but it was still a good experience.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Very nice man. It's always a financial loser when you are doing a build but it's so worth it on a personal level. I took a beating on my SG customizing, my GMC with an ebony board and pyramid inlay 7 string and a strat and tele I had done when I sold them but it was still a good experience.
for resale value a project guitar is a looser. quality wise with warmoth it is always win. You spend 1k on a custom guitar from warmoth, and it would cost 3 or 4 k to get the same thing through fender and i still feel the warmoth stuff is probably better quality.

The carvin stuff is amazing too depending on what you are going for.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
for resale value a project guitar is a looser. quality wise with warmoth it is always win. You spend 1k on a custom guitar from warmoth, and it would cost 3 or 4 k to get the same thing through fender and i still feel the warmoth stuff is probably better quality.

The carvin stuff is amazing too depending on what you are going for.
My JB200 is darned amazing. I don't think I have touched a better guitar for the price I paid at the time. Looks better than most low end J customs, has more tonal variety, and makes ESP look like a bunch of thieves.

Over here, I've seen a warmoth partscaster going used for almost 1K USD. Quality speaks volumes I guess

I'd be willing to make a warmoth partscaster myself if I could get it routed for a Gotoh OFR
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post

I'd be willing to make a warmoth partscaster myself if I could get it routed for a Gotoh OFR
Matias, you can actually fit a Gotoh 1996T in an OFR route with minimal sanding of the corners. An OFR template with its corners' radii brought down to 3 mms.

Jesse, let me know if you need to borrow any of the tools while I'm away, it's going to be touch and go on the 6400, I'll let you know how it turns out.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
As cool as that looks with no inlays, I think I'm going to try and do some side dots on that. I have some 3mm gold MOP dots. Since they're so small, I think I can put them in and bring them down flush to the board with something like a fret end file, without destroying the board.
]
Jesse,

You can adapt the technique in this video to scrape the MOP dots when/if you install them. If you scrape in a parallel direction to the frets, you shouldn't damage the board at all. Of course I realize it would be next to impossible to do on the high frets , but at least it would keep the board safe where it would be most visible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks I'll try that. I have a whole bunch of extra dots and a few "practice necks" that I've had sitting around in case I ever want to try doing fretwork.

As far as the cost goes, clearly the way I'm doing this is not cheap at all. You don't NEED a super pimp quilted top, an all ebony neck, etc.

If you wanted to make a really nice guitar on the cheap, you could buy a cheap used MIM Strat and then put a Warmoth compound radius neck on there.

Here's a totally fine neck for $197

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/Show...9#.VawmlvlVhBc

Or if you want some ebony and don't mind that it's not straight black, here's a neck for $215.

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/Show...2#.VawmrvlVhBc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode