New builds - no neon - boo - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

New builds - no neon - boo

Hi all, not been building much recently, but manged to sneek in a few new guitars. Sorry for the complete lack of neon! Only realised when I looked back at what I've made recently. First was a walnut strat for a mate a work, with his tattoo inlay on the 12th fret

I'd never made a bass before and it started out as some sort of headless Kubicki copy, but when googling pictures kept finding decibel guitar pics so it transformed into

spalted maple, never worked with it before, but had a few big planks lying around, never again, what a nightmare.
The base shape led onto a quick guitar version

ash back, maple top, paduk fretboard
Next up, been QCing all the Charvel Gutheries that came into work and fancied making one

Similar specs, basswood back, flame top, baked maple neck, normal fretboard, but edge..got no interest in locking tuners/tremelno etc

This one was fun, had a Jap jackson that I bought in 1994 & was the only guitar I had for 10+ years. It was the 1st guitar I ever customised changing the body to a JS shape and putting a tree of life neck on. So found the original neck the other day. I'd taken the fretboard off about 8 years ago to rob the trussrod out to make my first neck! Anyway the neck was still straight so glued the fretboard back on and made a nice walnut body for it

It was funny, felt like an old friend, playing something that I'd played for 10 years, but then..not played for about 10 years. The duncan pickups rip in it.
Ok last one from last weekend, Saw this cool looking pallet at work, colour and some logo stamps. Cut it up and made a guitar. All pine, no finesse, just glued a few planks together

Its the loudest electric I've made! Crazy resonance, must be all the holes knots and gaps in the pine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: New builds - no neon - boo

Awesome stuff Andy

I love the fact that you QC a few guitÓrs then are able to just come home and build one. You should start QCing Ferraris or something

But all that said, I atill like your swirls best, especially the blue/black/pink one
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:12 AM

Great work. Love the unique bass and guitar body.

What was so tough about working with the spalted maple?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 PM

Awesome stuff!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Great work Andy, love the top of that Bass!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 11:09 AM

yes please let us know why you wouldn't work with spalt again. it looks cool, but my only experience is that it has a lot of density/strength variations, and my version didn't bend at all over the drop top contour, it just broke/cracked. We filled it up and it looks OK, but it wasn't optimal at all. Some people use water thin cyano to wick into the weak areas so that it can, at least, hold up to normal manufacturing/routing/sanding/hardware.

A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode