New custom build - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

New custom build

So I decided to put together a custom build with an old S-series body I grabbed off the bay for cheap.

I am putting it together with my luthier Kip Elder at starr guitars. http://www.starrguitars.com/
I am slowly getting the pieces together and picking paints and letting them do fun work of refinishing and assembly.

Specs will be:
Ibanez S body (custom finish Black with white paint binding)
USA custom neck (going to go with ebony fret board)
Black Edge locking trem and nut (from Rich Harris)
EMG pickups H/S/H

I will post pictures as parts come in and progress is made.

Here is a shot of the original condition. This body was repainted by someone who did not do the greatest job. It seems to be a mix of poly and nitro as some paint comes off with acetone and other parts don't.

After removing some of the paint you can start to see the wood.

Unfortunately after removing some paint at the neck, what I thought was a finish crack is actually in the wood.

In this pic you can see the crack goes across the back and is in the wood.

At this point I was considering scrapping the body and looking for another. However my luthier is confident that they can fix it with epoxy.

Once we get it fixed I will post more pics. That is all for now. Tune in later for more progress pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:56 AM

Re: New custom build

Don't bother looking for another body. This is typical for the S bodies. I bought an S370DX and it has the same exact split. Unfortunately I found mine while trying the hair dryer method of removing the clear sealer and burnt the wood down into the crack. It fixed great with some titebond and a clamp. Just couldn't get rid of the discolored edge. Good luck.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Bummer that this is common but hopefully it will work out.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 PM

I'm interested in how far the crack actually goes
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morien View Post
I'm interested in how far the crack actually goes
Will let you know. I am thinking it goes across to the neck bolt hole since that is a spot of stress. Once we get the paint off we will know for sure.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update.

Whoever did the original refinish on this guitar sanded the plastic input jack bezzel (whatever you call it).

I tried to find a replacement but Ibanez stopped using them. So I had my luthier remove it. The wood underneath looks ok and with some sanding and finish it will work just fine.

We removed the paint on the neck joint crack and it does appear to stop before the screw hole. So that is good news. Just need to epoxy it and it should be good to go.

Still sourcing parts so progress is a little slow at this point. Going to be looking at necks and talking options with my luthier tomorrow.

Cheers.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:36 PM

I'm a little confused right now. We always claims there is a finish crack in the neckjoint and not a neckjoint crack, but what makes us so sure about that? Not everybody strips their guitar so we're unable to clarify its truly njfc...
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 07:05 PM

If its in the neck pocket you can pretty well assume its through to the wood. Every single body I have ever striped with the neck pocket "finish" cracks has been in the wood.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm a little confused right now. We always claims there is a finish crack in the neckjoint and not a neckjoint crack, but what makes us so sure about that? Not everybody strips their guitar so we're unable to clarify its truly njfc...
Yeah that is a good point.

I think epoxy or just the poly paint itself may be enough to seal the crack. Will let you know what we end up doing.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
If its in the neck pocket you can pretty well assume its through to the wood. Every single body I have ever striped with the neck pocket "finish" cracks has been in the wood.
This right here... The finish cracked because the wood underneath it moved BECAUSE it was cracked

Every single one I've refinished that had a "finish" crack at the heel joint was cracked under the finish too...
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 PM

It's definitely not that ALL njfc's are njc's
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
It's definitely not that ALL njfc's are njc's
No, definitely not all..... but most. I've had a few that were only a couple of mm long. These were NOT into the wood. It seems like, during a lighter impact, the body wood will flex. This causes the paint to crack but not the body itself. I assume it's because the paint is far more brittle than the wood. If the neck joint crack is longer than roughly 8mm, it's more than likely into the wood as well.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Vendor

I don't know of any way you can tell one way or the other. You could have one 2mm long that is wood and one 1/2" long that isn't. I just always ASSUME they're in the wood, because in the end it really doesn't matter if it is or not. It's one of those things you expect to happen, especially on a basswood body.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Yeah without an x-ray or some other imagining technique it is probably safe to just assume that it is cracked in the wood. I certainly will from now on.

That being said I am not to worried about it. I finally have ordered the neck and got the pickups in.

Thanks to Rich for having some back plates that will work for it. I will post some more pics once we route for the battery compartment.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:57 PM

Reviews: 1

Rich is the man!
Can't wait to see more pics!

Tags
custom , ibanez , refinish , repaint , repair , s-series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode