New Genesis RG550 & Gravity Storm Wiring Issue - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

New Genesis RG550 & Gravity Storm Wiring Issue

Hey everyone, I just got a new Ibanez Genisis RG550 and also picked up some Gravity Storm pickups. I kept the original middle pick and wired the guitar this way.

Gravity Storm pickups: black + white wires taped together, red to correct positions on the switch.
Left the middle pickup wired as it was from the factory.

My issue seems to be that when you switch to positions 2 & 4 the pickups sound thin and aren't usable at all.
Position 2 should be bridge + middle
Position 4 should be neck + middle

I used this diagram.

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.ne...%2C350-3hb.pdf

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong? The neck, bridge and middle all sound fine on their own. Could the cap on the volume pot be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Re: New Genesis RG550 & Gravity Storm Wiring Issue

Could be a phase cancellation. You could try to reverse the wires on the middle pickup or swap red an green on the humbuckers.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:10 PM

I'm new to soldering but have gotten mine to work. I have read that bad solders can have side effects to the sound. How much experience do you have with soldering?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:16 PM

sounds like a phase issue. The easiest thing to do would be to reverse the middle pickup. you take which ever wire is going to the ground and put it to wherever the hot wire. then ground the old hot wire.

Tags
gravity storm , ibanez rg550 , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode