New Guitar Project - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
New Guitar Project

I thought I'd share with you my plans for my new guitar that I'm about to embark on building. Here is my dodgy photoshop of what it should end up looking like:

I currently own an Ibanez RG guitar (had it for 10 years) and love it. I was looking at buying a second one as my band is about to start looking for gigs and I want to have a backup guitar for this. I figured that I don't have the cash to buy a decent one so I'll build it.

I should have a neck coming this week that I've purchased. My Dad's going to cut and route the body, and I'll gradually piece it together when I find bargins for each component needed.

It's going to be called Project GT-R due to the paint choice for the guitar, and so I can combine my car interest and my music interest. Carbon fibre might be used for a couple of other things as well such as the truss rod cover, covers on the back on the body, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:19 PM

Re: New Guitar Project

sounds cool! check out some of my progress on my jem project.. something there may help you out:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33825

cant wait to see it done!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 05:39 AM

Cool a Skyline Jem!!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 AM

very cool.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. My neck arrives sometime this week, and I should be getting a nice slab of Alder to work with next month.

The challenge is finding someone to make a real carbon fibre pickguard or at least a printed carbon fibre look one. I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet. And if anyone does do it before me after seeing this I was the one to conceptualise it!! ;-)

parker_fly, yeah seen some of yours. Hope mine looks as good as your is turning out!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Received my neck from EvilBay today. Off an RG 470!

Now to get some Alder to create a body. It has begun!!!

Question with regards to building a body. It's a lot cheaper to buy the timber when it's a 2 or 3 piece body blank. Now I understand thta if you have to go with a multi-piece that 3 piece can be the way to go as the centre piece is where the pickups and bridge will sit, meaning that they still have the advantage of sitting on a single piece of timber rather than split on two pieces, thus potentially giving the guitar a more balanced tone.

I've been checking prices with luthuiers in Australia and I haven't really noticed anyone advertising 3 piece blanks, just 1 and 2 piece. If I were to get a 2 piece Alder blank, and given that I'll be slotting some EMG active pickups in it, am I running the risk of potentially having an unbalanced tone when playing through an amp?

I know that the best is to have a single piece but I can't really afford that luxury.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 AM

Wanna see a cool carbon fiber guitar just check out Hotei's album Doberman! He had a custom all carbon fiber guitar made by Zodiac Guitars. Let me see if I can find the link.........here you go the guuitar I'm speaking of is the Darkstar!

http://www.hotei.com/pc/jp/guitars/index.html

http://www.zguitarfan.com/fair2003/darkstarh.html

Last edited by Scott 74; 03-10-2005 at 11:18 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Nice! I do dig those parker carbon fibre axes too, sooooo light, and the fretboard, mmmmmmm!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom
Received my neck from EvilBay today. Off an RG 470!

Now to get some Alder to create a body. It has begun!!!

Question with regards to building a body. It's a lot cheaper to buy the timber when it's a 2 or 3 piece body blank. Now I understand thta if you have to go with a multi-piece that 3 piece can be the way to go as the centre piece is where the pickups and bridge will sit, meaning that they still have the advantage of sitting on a single piece of timber rather than split on two pieces, thus potentially giving the guitar a more balanced tone.

I've been checking prices with luthuiers in Australia and I haven't really noticed anyone advertising 3 piece blanks, just 1 and 2 piece. If I were to get a 2 piece Alder blank, and given that I'll be slotting some EMG active pickups in it, am I running the risk of potentially having an unbalanced tone when playing through an amp?

I know that the best is to have a single piece but I can't really afford that luxury.

Thanks again!

Can anyone shed some light on my queries about timber for the body?

Tags
emg active , jem project , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode