new here have some questions. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

new here have some questions.

I'm looking at an Ibanez voyager body. It says the bridge compatibility is Original Ibanez Edge, Lo Pro Edge and Edge Pro. Or he can route it for an Edge III. My question is where can I find these other than ebay? Also I need some help choosing one. Is there is difference in playability between these? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: new here have some questions.

Edge or LoPro are the way to go. There are some in our classifieds, and I think Rich has some (ibanezrules.com)

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I'll take a look.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I have another question. Is there a good resale market for self built guitars? Like I said I'm looking at a body, it's unfinished and I plan on painting and putting all the parts into it myself. This will be my first one, but I'm doing research and don't plan on doing a fast cruddy job. I'm mainly looking to get into building them for a hobby, giving me something to do. I'm not looking to sell them for a huge profit, maybe a small gain or break even. This first one I plan on keeping and perhaps future builds depending how much I like them, but if I do decide to get rid of them will I make what I put into them?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Reviews: 2

You probably won't make everything back (considering labor time) but if you do a good job on them, you should be able to get enough back to fund the next project.

Unless you can make a name for yourself locally, there's no market for homemade guitars. I would suggest taking the best examples of your work to local shops that will sell on consignment. Consider it cheap advertising, but keep your prices realistic.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm not looking to sell them specifically for profit. I was just wondering if I could make my money back. I will be building for the sake of a hobby, not too worried about labor time. First off I would like to build myself a decent guitar to play around on, I play guitar as a hobby, never took lessons just tought myself the basics. I've been playing for quite awhile but never devoted alot of time to learning it. Right now i'm looking at an unfinished ibanez voyager style body and an 80's kramer SSH body, any opinions on which I should build?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 04:03 PM

IMO, you will always lose money on a custom guitar. Why would I buy a totally homemade questionable Voyager when with any amount of patience, I can find a nice real one for $500?

I may be biased because I'm a big fan of that guitar, but I would NEVER touch a custom Voyager. The neck on that guitar is totally unique and you'll never find one used. A Voyager is also a 22 fret guitar, so unless you find a 22 fret AANJ neck (good luck), your scale length is going to be totally off.

Just because Nate Perle can knock off all these bodies doesn't mean that anyone should actually try to build a guitar out of one.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:50 AM

I'm definitely not a fan of Ebay bodies either. There's just too many problems to overcome to make them worth the money.

Neo...... I wouldn't expect you to make a profit. To make a quality custom you need to start with quality parts and materials. The price of these alone are more than you can sell your "No-Name" guitar for. That said, IF you build a high enough quality guitar you should be able to sell it for enough $$ to get started on the next one.......... hopefully each piece will be better than the last and get you a little more $$ each time......... It WILL be very expensive to do the first few.

Trust me....... I have two in my garage now that are WAY over budget and not near enough to completion. I hope to sell at least one of them in the future to get half my money back.......... and half would really be stretching it!!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Ryc is dead-on with that, as usual! No disrespect to you or your skills, but who is going to peel off that kind of bacon for a guitar built by someone they've never heard of? Start small. By that, I mean snatch up a few used guitars at a decent price, hotrod them and sell 'em. You'll make a little on each one. Dump that cash into the next batch, and so on. All the while, you can start honing your skills. Start selling decent homemade guitars with as little investment as possible, but with the best parts for the money--make some basket cases. You'll start making a small name for yourself--especially locally. Advertise modding services on Craigslist. Start building a small client base, then word-of-mouth will help out.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Good points Rob and Ryc.

Your best bet is to buy a somewhat worn but complete guitar and then go to work modifying it. You could probably find a player Voyager for a few hundred dollars (I sold a very nice player for $425 not too long back) and then you could do what you wanted with it. Having the neck and correct 42mm RBM nut would be worth it alone.

I have a guitar project that I'm working on which will hopefully look like a passable USA Custom when finished. I started out with a combination of parts from two guitars that I bought, an RG770 and RG760. I currently have a very nice, totally playable guitar with all factory parts for less than $500 invested. Obviously that isn't the total cost, but there's no way I could have built what I have for that money.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 AM

i think as long as if/when u decide to sell, you're totally honest about what parts you've used, where they're from, etc etc, then you stand to recoup a good chunk of your costs.

for example, say you get a body from Nate Perle, get it swirled by Herc Fede, original edge/lo pro, dimarzio electronics throughout, MIJ/gotoh/sperzel tuners, and a 550 AANJ wizard neck, that may cost you somewhere in the region of $500-700ish. now you will never see all of that money back when you sell it, but particularly on here, people know the quality of the workmanship of the parts you've got, and what they're worth 2nd hand, and a lot of people are happy to pay "what its worth" as a 2nd hand project!

as long as you dont try and pass it off as a genuine, original ibanez, then you should see a fair price in its sale.

rich
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM

I think you're shooting way low with those prices. A body from Perle is $120 and a swirl from Herc would be $350 or more with a clearcoat. Real MIJ wizard necks fetch $200 or more. Youre already at around $700 and you have no hardware or case.

You can by a really nice RBM1 for that price. I paid $530 for this

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 07:56 AM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Reviews: 11

The shock of building my own guitars came early and hard lol.

I figured itd be pretty easy to make a decent guitar for 300$.... psshhhhh
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 02:57 PM

i did say "may"!

im new to this game myself, and im just abt to start a 550 build, so i guess im gonna find out the hard way just how much it costs! :P
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Not to scare you off Ricky, because I TOTALLY support anyone that want's to build a one off custom form sourced parts or a hand made labor of love, but my Universe custom has already cost WAY more than I could ever re-coup from it...... here are the totals so far (and it's not even done yet)

Area51 custom African Mahogany Universe body with grip, claw, and angled jack sent to Alan @ Out of this swirled for a killer swirl, then to Rob Williams Guitars for clear coat....

Body with swirl: $327.26
clear coat: $420.18 (includes shipping and transfer fees)

Used RG1527 neck: $200.00 (aprox. value...the neck came from a $750 guitar)
Used Evo7 pickups: $80.00
New fretboard: $235.00 (ebony with custom inlays)
New Lo-Pro7 kit and all necessary hardware $650 (includes shipping)

Total cost: $1912.44

If I were to use a new neck and pickups I could add $250 to that.

I don't think (or even hope) I'd see the near side of $1500 if I decide to ever sell it......

Mind you, all of this is sourced parts....I'm just the assembly man. This is also using the best quality parts available to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode