New project, Need some opinions on paint scheme - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

New project, Need some opinions on paint scheme

The current project I'm working on is repainting ang getting my mexican strat back in working order. I'll be painting a design with paint pens like I did to my iceman restoration a while back. This go round I'm thinking of an underwater reef scene. I've come up with a rough sketch & color study and would like some opinions. Keep in mind this is just a first rough draft. What do you all think of the design & color pallet?

Here's a pic of what I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 09:37 PM

Re: New project, Need some opinions on paint scheme

I like it. How about putting up a thin layer of curly maple veneer and painting it Aqua green or some color like that to give that 3D-ish under the water feel before painting in the fauna?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Thumbs up Re: New project, Need some opinions on paint scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
I like it. How about putting up a thin layer of curly maple veneer and painting it Aqua green or some color like that to give that 3D-ish under the water feel before painting in the fauna?
If I recall correctly... There was a Fender custom shop Strat that was on the cover of the Guitar World buyers guide in about 1997 that had exactly that theme, coral reef over Aqua stained flame maple for the water looked awesome
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
If I recall correctly... There was a Fender custom shop Strat that was on the cover of the Guitar World buyers guide in about 1997 that had exactly that theme, coral reef over Aqua stained flame maple for the water looked awesome
Whoa! I wanted to find a photo of it and been searching for a while, but couldn't find it. Would you happen to have it?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Probably in a box in my parents' attic... I'll have a look next time I visit them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Is this the guitar y'all are talking about?

Last edited by madasahatter; 07-21-2015 at 05:28 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 PM

From jono's description it appears that it is!

I was thinking more of the lines of PRS blue when I first saw your sketch, which looks close to the one jono mentions as well.

Of course what I have in mind is to turn the veneer 90 degrees and have more of the lighter colored section of the PRS above.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 PM

I've got to say I'm not digging that fish tank scheme. Reminds me of kitschy decor at a rental beach house or something.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Is this the guitar y'all are talking about?

That's the one, I thought it was more quilty from memory, but that is nearly a 20 year old catalogue, and a guitar that I thought was cool but had no 'real' interest so didn't pay that much attention to anyway...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode