New RG3120 with two tech issues - trem studs, nut screws - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

New RG3120 with two tech issues - trem studs, nut screws

I snagged a RG3120TW from GC's used section that arrived yesterday, and by and large I'm pretty happy with it - it's a bbetter top than the pictures suggested, in better shape than it'd been described at, and while I've had no more time than for a quick once-over, quick hit on the obvious issues, and setup, it's a great sounding guitar with an unexpectedly pronounced attack. Most of the problems were easy fixes - a couple quick turns to the truss rod (I think they may have tuned it slack and loosened it to ship), tightening up a loose arm holder, and the loose tone knob turned out to be a loose pot, but easy fixes. Two remain though, that I want a second opinion on before I tackle:

1) The guitar shipped with the locking nut only held in place by the strings, with no nuts bolted on from the back to hold it in place. I didn't initially notice, and only noticed it last night when I noticed the nut was off center and gave it a closer look (I still haven't boothered to lock it down yet, since I'm dialing it in and it needs new strings anyway). Does anyone happen to know if the rear-mount screws for an OFR are compatible with those from an Edge nut? I have a bunch of spares in my parts box, but I just didn't get a chance to try last night (got home late, had to pack for a trip, and hhad some other stuff on the guitar to run through and just ran out of time).

2) The bass-side trem stud wouldn't screw down far enough into the anchor, and as it happened that was because the anchor is a little loose in the wood and had pulled up slightly. Taking it out, rotating it slightly, and pushing it back in was enough to get it tight enough to not shift if I pressed, but that's not really a long term solution. I've had one suggestion that I wrap the stud in paper, which compresses similarly to wood and will give it a LITTLE more thickness, so has anyone tried that? Other than that, wood putty was suggested, but that doesn't seem like a great odea, I feel like it's more brittle than wood would be. Overall I'm not too worried about ovaling inn the long run since mahogany is a lot harder than basswood, but I'd like to get this sorted out in a reasonably permanent manner.

Otherwise, it's really a pretty great guitar. Oddly it has cosmo black hardware and not powder cosmo which I've never seen on a 3120 before, so I kinda wonder if the previous owner swapped hardware with another RG before selling - possibly due to the loose arm holder, which was actually a super easy fix - because it's also oddly clean for a clearly played '98, and the volume and tone knobs were set low enough that the tone, in particular, rubbed slightly on the top when you spun it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Re: New RG3120 with two tech issues - trem studs, nut screws

I just paid way too much, I'm sure, to order replacement nut rear bolts from Hoshino, so that one's taken care of.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Vendor

Why on earth would you do that?!

The anchor, if it's barely loose set it in with wood glue.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Because even overpaying for the correct parts was, bigger picture, still small change to get a guitar I got at a great price 100% back in playing shape.

It's really a killer guitar - I was away all weekend and dind't get home until a little before midnight, but even then I plugged it in and jammed out for a bit at low volume before bed. Great sounding guitar, tons of attack and very different from my 550. It doesn't really hold a candle to my Suhr 7, but at like a fifth of the price, it shouldn't.

(Or do you mean a wrap of paper around the stud for a tighter fit?)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Vendor

You said the anchor was loose, set it in with wood glue
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, thought you meant Hoshino, never mind.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Vendor

I asked why you would overpay from Hoshino, yes. Just the Fedex alone.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Honestly? Busy day at work, did a google search for something like "Edge locking nut rear mounting screw," which I'm on my work computer so that was a gamble, lol, and they were one of the first hits. Total impulse, but given the amount of crap I had going on that day, whatever (sizable, I'm sure) premium I paid was worth not having to hunt for another source. Time is money, and all that.

If for whatever reason they don't work out, I figure the odds are decent that you have the various part(s) in stock I'd need?

Also, totally off topic question, but did these ever come in cosmo black? Mine's a '98, and I always thought they were powder cosmo. The fact there's almost no corrosion on the hardware on a 19-year-old guitar, and that there were some other hardware issues I've already sroted out (loose trem arm holder, the knobs were tightened on too low, missing rear anchor screws for the locking nut, etc) kinda makes me wonder if the seller had a newer Ibanez with cosmo black hardware and either preferred the look of powder cosmo, or didn't know how to fix the arm holder or something so he just swapped over alll the hardware and kept the guitar with what he thought was the "good" hardware, while trading in/selling the 3120 to GC. It looks great, it just wasn't quite what I was expecting.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

By the way, these showed up last night, a day early. That 3120 is now about 98% back to top playing shape (I had to shim the nut to stop some open D and to a lesser extent E, A, G, and B buzzing, used a brass nut shim I'd had in my parts box for probably the last 15 years after buying a bunch of them off Rich back in college, didn't realize I'd cut my finger open on the thin strip of metal trying to push it in position without fully removing the nut until suddenly I noticed there was blood all over my multitool and the front of the guitar - it didn't hurt at all - and by the time I'd cleaned it up and gotten it into position and locked down, there was still a TINY amount of buzz on the D that I'll need a half shim to fix, but by that point I decided I'd rather just play it for a while and dial in the rest of the setup, and I'll finish that process tonight).

I think half the cost of the shipping is that they arrived in maybe a 6"x6"x3" box and in a russian doll-esq mass of about half a dozen ziplock bags. Still, the guitar kicks ass, sounds great and quite a bit different than my RG550RFR (which I worried they'd be too close and a bit of a duplication in my roster, so that's a relief), and once it's 100% dialed in I'll have to shoot some decent video with it as well as take a few pictures over the weekend. Now that it has not-totally-dead strings on it with an appropriate setup, it doesn't have that oddly pronounced attack it did when I first unboxed it - I don't know if it's something about the sound of Elixirs, or rather if it was the fret buzz of the too-low bass strings was being masked by their lack of high end, but the slightly choked response was giving them that percussiveness - but it's a thick, full-bodied, and substantial sounding guitar, way more so than its Wizard neck and pointy horns would have you believe.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Vendor

Sorry, lost the firs email notice in a restart.

Yes, cosmo was the last yea I believe, then the later versions were cosmo.

HUSA would usually ship that in a padded manila envelope, but makes no difference to FedEx, it's going to be $12 no matter what you ship it in [and that's just to me 40 miles away]. And did you get the proper flat and compression washers with them?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I did, but I had to go think to add them on themselves, they sell them all individually. Next time I need a couple parts, I'll hit your page first though!

No worries about the response, I'm mostly just talking to myself here because it's a cool guitar and different from my usual guitars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode