Nickel Platers, anybody know a good one? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Nickel Platers, anybody know a good one?

I know a lot of these guys advertise on eBay. I have an old Aria body with a Kahler flyer, and I am busy getting it nice and smooth so I can "chrome" it. I don't think I'm going to bother changing the trem, if I do it'll just be a direct replacement Flyer. Basically I'm going to sand the neck smooth, fit Sperzels, chrome the body and its already loaded with PAF Pros, and once that's done, I've got a chrome beater that I can throw about. I may attempt a chrome Jem if the experience is good. But does anybody know of any of these nickel platers that are better than the rest? I know Rich has had some odd experiences but not any good ones? Anybody who knows a good nickel-plater, your help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Vendor

There is no choice, the ones on ebay are all the same butcher company.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
There is no choice, the ones on ebay are all the same butcher company.
But he's not bitter . I don't blame Rich either, it sounds like they really screwed up on the body he sent. Check Rich's used page for his take on it.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Vendor

I didn't send it, was a project I bought off ebay. Anybody wants pics of how they butchered just the neck pocket alone drop me an email and I'll send them the folder.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I read the review of the guitar on the used page. But there must be somebody out there who can do a good job. Rich, any chance of the pics just out of interest? It might not be good enough for a chrome jem, but it might do for the beater....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Anybody wants pics of how they butchered just the neck pocket alone drop me an email and I'll send them the folder.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:07 PM

if you do an internet search on nickelplating...i'm sure you will find other services that might be willing to try it on your guitar.
But the ebay ppl are the only ones that i know of with some experience in doing guitar bodies........i don't know how they are turning out nowadays....but their finishes are unpredictable. You can end up with a crappy one, or a fairly decent one. They told me it's different for every guitar. I've seen some horrible ones (the kind where you just want your money back), and then some more better looking ones.
Most of them come back with crappy edges, neck pocket gouges, and all the drilled holes are either filled with metal plating or are not uniform and the parts won't fit. you have to clean all the edges, pockets, holes, routes yourself.....and that can be a pain. They don't do that for you. The one i had done came back with several flaws, there were hills around the edges, gouges in the neck pocket, drips, bubbles, ridges, valleys, ripples in the finish, etc.....Parts didnt fit......and i spent hours just to get them to fit. But i can't get rid of all the ripples, hills, valleys in the finish.......those are there to stay whether i like it or not.
The finish looks good from 5 ft away.......nice and shiny. But don't be expecting anything better than a real Js chromeboy.......
Of course, if you are going to play the guitar all the time.....then it won't really matter. When all the parts are fitted, some of the flaws get covered up.....and the overall appearance seems to look better. But from 10 ft away......you won't see the small flaws, and the finish looks pretty sweet........it shines and reflects like chrome. However, the finish is not smooth like a chromeboy..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2
I've seen some horrible ones (the kind where you just want your money back), ..
Don't you mean "the kind where you just want to sue the balls off them for totally screwing up your guitar"?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:21 PM

Rich, you should've been the first to sue their balls off [/quote]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Vendor

I didn't commision the work, it was somebody elses mess, and believe me, he wanted to sue their balls off
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:40 PM

they just recently had another one on ebay, that they call a "second"

I wouldn't call it reject pile, if it was my guitar I'd be sending it back saying, now you can strip it, and send it back when it's right.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 10:47 PM

And on top of that, How about telling them they used the wrong process

Tags
chrome jem , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode