Noobie question about taking off the neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Noobie question about taking off the neck

hey guys, i never took out a neck... so, my question is, how hard is it? and specially, how hard is it to put it back in?

what makes me more than "afraid" to do it is the fact that screwing/unscrewing/screwing back into wood kinda "damages" it, as we all see with the strap pins' screws... so, what precautions should i take with the neck, so i dont f**k it up and end up ruining the body?

thx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 05:19 AM

The first question is why do you want to take the neck off?

It is as easy as it sounds - remove (or slacken) the strings and unscrew to 4 screws. There is almost no chance of damaging the body. Most guitar necks have screws with large threads on them so although you don't want to be removing the neck every day, doing it once or twice isn't going to do any damage.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 07:52 AM

Its a pretty easy procedure. Just make sure when you put it back on that its straight (string up and check the spacing between the outermost strings and the edge of the fretboard, slacken the screws and adjust if needed). Also make sure if the guitar has a weird neck joint that you remember where the screws went - I say this only cus some older jacksons (and other guitars) had a slanted neck joint area, and different length screws, mess that up and they'll exit out of the fretboard! :P
Go slow and take care! Let us know how it turned out....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 08:03 AM
Vendor

If you don't pull it out straight and even it's easy to chip the finish around the neck pocket, that's really the only concern unless you find you have an extremely tight neck pocket.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 08:09 AM

If you take the neck off a guitar do you have to adjust the truss rod any?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

thx guys... im starting to think about turning my 1st guitar (a cheap Ibanez Silver Cadet strat) into a natural finish... and change stuff on it, you know.... fiddle around, get to feel what its like to work on a guitar besides just playing it ...

So, i want to be extra careful, not cause of the money, but because this ones very dear to me, being my 1st and all... i certainly dont wanna screw it up...

Tags
neck joint , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode