NOOOOOO!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

NOOOOOO!!

....Well....
I was pulling the trem on my RG570 today, to inspect the knife edges and everything. When I was putting it back in and used pliers to pull the springs to the holes in the trem block, the pliers slipped off the spring, resulting in me making 2 5cm scratches on the back of the body. A part of me died at that very moment and I feel terrible of myself. I suddenly have the big urge to sell my 350 and save for new gear, well...I wanted to sell that thing anyway...

Anyone felt the same way they scratched/dent/chipped their instrument?

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC_0156.jpg

Last edited by TheFreak777; 10-18-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Re: NOOOOOO!!

I feel your pain %@#^%?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Reviews: 1

My once prestine RG1527, now has a small chip in the back edge, from me hitting it againest the case as I was putting it away..........

It F'n sucks!
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM

The right tool for the job.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...xst=3&xsr=8335
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Reviews: 3

I didnīt sleep for a week when I lightly scratched the surface of my glossy black jem 555... but donīt worry, one day you will get used to it. Some people say that they are battle-scares and dings and scratches add some character to the instrument and make it unique. Think of it as it were the beginning of a nice cruel swirling ;-)
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM

After time you'll feel more confident, I mean its already scratched-you don't have to fear anymore on stage or while repairing the guitar "if it gets any damage"

All (played) guitars I know a few years old has a mark somewhere around it. I felt really bad when I made a similar mistake, now I don't care-just enjoy playing.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

StewMac sells a hook tool for attaching the springs. You can also use a dental pick--that was suggested in a thread several months ago.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Happened to me as well, also rg570. Take it like a man...that's what i told myself. You will eventually scratch or dent it. No better time to start.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Unless you just want it to sit in its case, your guitar is going to get scratched.

I read an interview with Vai once where he said whenever he gets a new guitar, or car, he scratches it himself, that way when one happens by accident it's not the first, and no big deal.

My 1990 RG550 is all dinged up, some places you can see the wood... I wish it still looked like new but at the same time I can tell you where and why each scratch came about... gives it character and helps to tell some stories (some really stupid)

All three of my guitars, even the almost brand new 2010 RG1550 have dings, don't worry about it too much.

After a while, you'll look at it and realize it's simply just a part of the life of the guitar... everyone has scars.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 PM

I just looked at the picture:

That looks like it may buff out... maybe not to looking new, but enough that you won't even notice it unless you're looking for it.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
I just looked at the picture:

That looks like it may buff out... maybe not to looking new, but enough that you won't even notice it unless you're looking for it.
I Agree.

I truly feel your pain Freak........This happened when I (stupidly) set my UCGR on the floor next to my near mint RGT3120... before this it only had a couple of pick swirls that needed to be hand buffed out. I watched from about 10 feet away as the UCGR fell over onto the RGT.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 PM

When I get the chance I'll post some pictures of my 550, it's worse than what you have RGT. Of course, mine's also 20+ years old.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 AM

I guess theres a few of us around. I have a chip on the edge of my new/used guitar. My $alls hit the floor when I seen it. Ill trade ya your scratch for my chip...

From the looks of it, if its not deep you can probably polish it out.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Finaly! your axe is no virgin anymore!

Now u can go wild with it without having to worry about another ding,chip,or dent.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:48 AM

I always back the spring claw way out if I'm pulling the trem. Then I can just do the springs by hand.

Tags
edge , ibanez rg570 , scratch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode