is it normal for abalone to break??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

is it normal for abalone to break???

i was checking out a 2027x at a store the other day (worst thing i ever did, cause now i want one and cant buy it) and i noticed one of the dots in the 12th fret had a hole in it

i dunno how to explain it, it didnt look "broken", it looked kinda natural.... errr... like the holes in stones you pick up on a beach...

anyway, it was weird...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:38 PM

Abalone often has imperfections or holes. I'm not exactly sure what causes them but my assumption has always been that they are caused by parasites that bore into the shell. Usually the maker/builder will select out these imperfections, however, my father has a late sixties knock-off, or copy, of a gibson hummingbird with abalone inlays in the fretboard that have holes. It's only in about two or three of the pieces and has no efect on playability. It's a natural occurance .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 11:57 PM

I didn't know they came with real abalone... that's cool.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusplaya
Abalone often has imperfections or holes. I'm not exactly sure what causes them but my assumption has always been that they are caused by parasites that bore into the shell. Usually the maker/builder will select out these imperfections, however, my father has a late sixties knock-off, or copy, of a gibson hummingbird with abalone inlays in the fretboard that have holes. It's only in about two or three of the pieces and has no efect on playability. It's a natural occurance .
Thanx man

Tags
abalone inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode