Not accepting sustainer installation installs. - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 12:34 PM

Re: Not accepting sustainer installation installs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
but if you like metal or even hard rock, these RGs and Jems don't really cut it, they dont have enough juice
Quote:
maybe our definition of metal is different

I'm not talking about "bad horsie" metal
you're joking, right??? An RG has been considered a metal guitar for several decades. Straight from Ibanez's site:

"The RG is the most recognizable and distinctive guitar in the Ibanez line. Three decades of metal have forged this high-performance machine, honing it for both speed and strength."

All it takes is a quick browse to see all the metal guitarists who use Ibanez. Or maybe all of those artists have been doing metal music wrong all these years
aesthyrian likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
maybe our definition of metal is different

I'm not talking about "bad horsie" metal
What iIS yout type of metal?

Speaking of Ibanez RG550 , is this enough metal?

FireEagle likes this.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Speaking of Ibanez RG550 , is this enough metal?
But can it djent?
jono likes this.
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 01:53 PM

There are a lot of brands out there... small and large, but Ibanez still OWNS metal. \m/
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
But can it djent?
Duuuuuuh-Jent. Duhduhduh-Jent. Duh-Jent. Duh-Jent. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
madasahatter likes this.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Why do most metal guitar players use ESP, Dean, Jackson, usually a one piece guitar with active pickups. Would have Dimebag Darrell sounded as metal on a Jem? Probably not.

The guy was a big fan of Steve Vai actually, he mentioned Vai style in some of his interviews, yet he never played an RG.

Would Metallic and Megadeth sound as metal on Ibanez RGs? Why do they play ESP and Deans with active pickups?

These bands aren't considered very heavy in the metal world either.

Most metal bands out there are playing on either, ESP, Dean, Jackson, most of them one piece and active PUPs. Obviously, this combination delivers a heavier tone, otherwise, why are all these bands using them?

I never said that Jems and RGs can't do metal, but if I already have this style of guitar, I'd rather have something that is different. I was never a fan of strats and gibsons. Wouldn't mind having one if given for free, but I wouldn't pay for one.

I just want something different from Vai's guitars. I like the Solar guitars.

They give you a lot of stuff for $999. Stainless steel frets, titanium truss rod, roasted maple, Evertune bridge and they look more aggressive than a Jem.

To me, a jem and its RGs children are too pretty looking, they just don't have that metal look to them. Look at the PIA

Can you imagine a metal band playing with a PIA on stage. It's also about the looks I guess. The ESP and Deans have those metal shapes and look to them, maybe that's why so many metal artists prefer them.

Last edited by Fowleri; 02-11-2021 at 05:16 PM.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 05:07 PM

Nothin' like those 1 piece guitars!
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 05:08 PM

A lot of it has to do with marketing and sponsorship... I mean technically dream theater can be considered metal, and petrucci used ibanez for years. Now he uses Ernie Ball music man and the majesty is definitely a metal-esk guitar when it comes to aestestics and features... there's way too many versions of metal.

Hard rock is definitely ibanezish. Even alice in chains is grunge/hard rock and jerry cantrell has been known to use G&L guitars.... Which hardly can be considered a "metal" or "hard rock" exclusive brand. Hell you can sound like ACDC with a BC Rich or an ibanez... Just like you can sound like Joe walsh and the James gang with a dang les paul. The point is It's all in your hands and self expression that determines what style you play. And what instrument you play is determined Pruely from personal preference not what style of music you tend to play.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 05:12 PM

I get that there are characteristics of certain brands that metal players prefer... Like for example you hardly ever see a metal player have a neck that is a 9" radius... Normally they use guitars that have a very flat fingerboard because the action can be lower. Which most ibanez guitars have a 17" radius! Which is very flat. The majesty has a 20" radius! That's super flat.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Why do most metal guitar players use ESP, Dean, Jackson, usually a one piece guitar with active pickups. Would have Dimebag Darrell sounded as metal on a Jem? Probably not.

The guy was a big fan of Steve Vai actually, he mentioned Vai style in some of his interviews, yet he never played an RG.

Would Metallic and Megadeth sound as metal on Ibanez RGs? Why do they play ESP and Deans with active pickups?

These bands aren't considered very heavy in the metal world either.

Most metal bands out there are playing on either, ESP, Dean, Jackson, most of them one piece and active PUPs. Obviously, this combination delivers a heavier tone, otherwise, why are all these bands using them?

I never said that Jems and RGs can't do metal, but if I already have this style of guitar, I'd rather have something that is different. I was never a fan of strats and gibsons. Wouldn't mind having one if given for free, but I wouldn't pay for one.

I just want something different from Vai's guitars. I like the Solar guitars.

They give you a lot of stuff for $999. Stainless steel frets, titanium truss rod, roasted maple, Evertune bridge and they look more aggressive than a Jem.

To me, a jem and its RGs children are too pretty looking, they just don't have that metal look to them. Look at the PIA

Can you imagine a metal band playing with a PIA on stage. It's also about the looks I guess. The ESP and Deans have those metal shapes and look to them, maybe that's why so many metal artists prefer them.

OK I'm done with this.

Fowleri, you get 2 weeks off for grandstanding/trolling/constant self contradiction and so on, hopefully if you decide to return you'll post with a little more cohesion and respect for fellow forum members.
aesthyrian likes this.
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
bla bla etc etc
Dude Ibanez are the most popular brand within metal, with the most extensive namelist going back to the 1980s, including some of the bands you've mentioned (Megadeth). The answer to your question is you're completely clueless about how guitar works, how tone is made. I toured in a metal band from 2005-2008 too, for anonymity I won't mention the name of the band but I played a Jem 7V through a Peavey 5150, and let me tell you my sound would have ripped your head off. Dimarzio Evo's are high output pickups, they are higher output pickups than most of what you will find on your skull & bones "metal" guitars.

Skulls, bones and spikes don't make your guitar sound heavier. EMG's have a sound, they are sterile and have low noise but no they aren't "heavier" sounding than Evo's, they are brighter though for sure. All the "heavy" from the sound comes from the amp anyway, that and how it's dialled in in relation to the bass/drums. Go buy a skull & cross bones guitar with EMG's and we will see you here in 2 weeks when you find some stuff to complain about

"Why do my EMG's sound thin" "Is my battery dead" "Why won't it stay in tune" "how do a setup an evertune bridge" "why do no techs know how to setup an evertune bridge" "I think there is something wrong with my EMG's" "Are stainless steel frets really worth the money" etc etc etc.

Not enough juice for metal? Before this band switched to 8 string Ibanez models the guitarist was playing a Universe.
peromucho7 likes this.

Last edited by BigBazz; 02-11-2021 at 09:21 PM.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-12-2021, 12:34 AM

Does this look metal? Some sort of dad-rock thing, I guess.

EDIT: It's Emperor, by the way, which is quite a one of the most first/influentic black metal bands out there. Also, the drummer at around early
90's stabbed some man to death and went burning churches with the guys from Mayhem who then tried to kill each other and one got murdered
and so on. That's tr00 metal :-p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_(band)

Last edited by Ad_Astra; 02-12-2021 at 12:39 AM.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-12-2021, 06:11 AM

No, No.... I think Fowleri is on to something here. It explains 100% of my troubles. For the past 25+ years I've been using an Iceman and trying to play metal riffs. No matter what I tried playing; Megadeth, Slayer, Hatebreed, etc. it all came out sounding like Detroit Rock City.

This explains it, my guitar just doesn't look metal enough. I need to go get one of those guitars he's talking about then I might finally be able to bust out some real metal. \m/
peromucho7 and FireEagle like this.

Last edited by madasahatter; 02-12-2021 at 06:20 AM.
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-12-2021, 12:48 PM

Skulls, crosses and EMG's mate.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM

I am also looking for someone capable and trustworthy enough to route out a PIA and a 7V for Sustaniac install. Anywhere from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Phoenix, AZ - would consider Austin, TX as well. Can anyone recommend? I am new here I apologize if I am breaking any rules, not trying to hijack the topic. Thank you.

Tags
ffjd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode