note is going mute - tech setup question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

note is going mute - tech setup question

I've got a 7V and when I bend more than a half step on the 18th fret E-string, the note goes mute. This doesn't happen on any of the other strings or frets. I tried raising the bridge but it doesn't really go away until my action is too high. Any advices? Thanks!
~Goof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 05:48 PM

hey goof,
1st thing i would check is the string itself. make sure there's not a kink in it at that point. if there isn't then it's a matter of the frets. if you're bending on the 18th fret, then the 19th fret may have a high spot, sometimes they pop out a little. it doesn't take much. see if you can find out exactly what fret is touching it, causing it to mute. but because it's not happening with any other strings, i would try changing the string first. keep us posted. thanks. one last thing to check is the pickup height. i had a guy who had me look at his guitar because he had the same problem and it was simply hitting the pickup when he bent it.

john
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Vendor

It's a high or low fret. I used to give lots of advice on how to tackle your own fretwork but it really should be evaluated by somebody with experience, or better yet, just have it leveled. Nothing plays better than perfect fretwork.
Rich is online  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
It's a high or low fret. I used to give lots of advice on how to tackle your own fretwork but it really should be evaluated by somebody with experience, or better yet, just have it leveled. Nothing plays better than perfect fretwork.
Agreed, I'm with you on not giving fret working advice anymore as well.

I was brought a "ruined" guitar after someone tried to level it himself.

The guitar was actually fine, but the frets had gouges cut out of them.

I don't do refrets . . . so it cost them the price of a refret instead of a simple level at a shop that could do it.

NEVER again will I suggest they try it themselves, NEVER! :-)

Mic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:49 AM

Great advise guys, but BEFORE spending any cash on fret work, PLEASE check the string itself. I do some side guitar setups and stuff, and on more than one occasion, I've had a friend come in with a "dead-note" on a string, and the string was bent in such a way to make it die out when he bent it. His cat bit it or something.
Definitely worth checking before getting into fret work.
And as I said, I've also seen a case where the pickup was too high, and when the guy bent the high E, it would fret-out. But that will usually happen on more than one fret.
All that being said, it's probably a high or low fret as Rich said.

John
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Vendor

Always good advice, $1 is a whole lot cheaper than a good level
Rich is online  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:16 AM

this is a related story...
i had a guy where his 1st fret high e was buzzing really bad and just about dead. the truss rod needed to be backed off a tad. no charge on that one. it took me like 2 minutes. the wizard necks are so thin, it seems like they need a truss rod tweak when the weather changes sometimes. luckily, the weather doesn't change very often in L.A.

john
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:02 AM

related to the above, i have problem with strings going mute when i play artificial harmonics + bending. it rings and sustains OK if i pick normally + bend. only when i do harmonics + bend it will die easily.

i don't think it is my techniques problem, as this is not happening with my other yamaha RGX. could this be a pickup issue, as i noticed i can do harmonics much easier on the yamaha.

Tags
pickup height , truss rod , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode