Notes detuning the moment i lock the locking nuts..pls help.. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Notes detuning the moment i lock the locking nuts..pls help..

whenever i locked the nut down on the strings, the low E, A and D strings goes sharp..and the G, B and low E goes flat..i read the setup from this site, and adjusted the retaining bar, my strings are all seated on the gooves, but the problem is still happening, i removed the nuts, played it, and the strings are all in tune, the onli problem is that the strings go out the moment i lock them..i'm using an Edge trem..please help..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 AM

Re: Notes detuning the moment i lock the locking nuts..pls help..

You do have to fine tune using the fine-tunners on the trem after you lock down.....you know this right?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Notes detuning the moment i lock the locking nuts..pls help..

uhm, so it's the case that the fine tuning has to be used inevitably after locking down? anyway, it's virtually impossible to NOT use the fine tuners? i'm still new with dbl locking trems though..so i dun know alot of stuff..
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:55 AM

Yeah - I just tune close to, but not right on and then lock down because when you lock down it pulls the strings tighter. Also, make sure you have plenty of lee-way in the fine tunners. Keep them backed out about 3/4 of the way before you lock down. Then you should be fine
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

ahhhhhh....ok, so it's an approximation at the end of the day? well, i got it fixed, following ur advice! thanks a mil!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin55
ahhhhhh....ok, so it's an approximation at the end of the day? well, i got it fixed, following ur advice! thanks a mil!
No probs man...glad to help Anytime you need advice come to this forum.....there are loads of brilliant Jemsters here that will not hesitate to help.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:46 AM

I will add that when I have the guitar completely unlocked at the nut that I usually tune the low E and A then lock down that part of the nut. I do the same for the D and G, then the B and E. I have found that this helps. Esspecially with the fine tunners lee-way.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:18 PM

Talking Re: Notes detuning the moment i lock the locking nuts..pls help..

I do it the same way as Earthrug, but i find it even easier leaving the back plate off as you play your 6 week old rusted strings for the last time. Then block the trem and change your strings and tune them as close to n lock the nut and fine tune. After that get someone to hold the trem so the strings are quite sharp, then add the springs you took out for wood blocks, then get your assistant to let go of the arm and your done! It may take longer but a well balanced set of accurate blocks+springs can cut out the 10 minute tunin probs! then fine tune away again!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 04:53 AM

Also check that the retainerbar(the bar behind the nut where the strings go under) is not too high up. If so the strings are too far from the pads. If you lock the pads the strings go sharp...

Check it and screw it a little more down, until the strings stay virtually flat on the pads.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone, the strings are finally showing some stability.. lol, that's weird..haha but well, at least it wasnt so bad after applying those that u guys suggested! Happy Chirstmas and a New Year to all!

Tags
edge trem , locking trems , retaining bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode