Nut Height - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Nut Height

So I have one last thing for setup on my guitar, I need to know the correct nut height. I know that Rich's site says .7mm too high but I don't fully understand what he means, I just need to know what the height of the nut should be. If I need to know what the clearance over the next fret is please tell me. I just don't understand what any of this means. What I do know is that the nut should be as low as possible without causing string buzzing, that's about it. If it helps I know for sure that the neck relief and action are fine, I have that setup correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Nut Height

Follow Rich's advice.
If it's too high--remove shim.....if present.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

That's the thing.... I don't know when it gets too low or too high
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson View Post
That's the thing.... I don't know when it gets too low or too high
By the action.
What's comfortable to you?
People have different tastes. Some like high action--most like low.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

.......I'm not talking about the action here I'm talking about the nut height, I don't know what it's supposed to be set at
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

Nut height plays into the action. Action is the height of the strings off the fretboard--the nut plays a critical part in this. Nut too high= action too high. The bridge also is a part of this equation, but in your case--you think the nut is too high.

Are there any shims under the nut?

Rich went to great lengths to provide accurate info:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/nut.htm

A guide right here on Jemsite:
http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu...-4-nut-height/

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Well I think you finally gave me the answer, no the action is not part of the problem (like I said earlier....), no the bridge has nothing to do with this right now... but thank you
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

ROFL IM A DUMB ASS, it turns out all this time I've needed a ****ing neck shim LOLOL
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
ROFL IM A DUMB ASS, it turns out all this time I've needed a ****ing neck shim LOLOL
Lol--that's always the easiest to check.
Glad you found the issue!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Wait.... I think I'm close to the answer... not sure... so I have one other question, is the distance between the first fret and the bottom of the string (being open), supposed to be the same as the distance between the next fret (holding the string down on the previous fret) to the bottom of the string as well?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Wait.... I think I'm close to the answer... not sure... so I have one other question, is the distance between the first fret and the bottom of the string (being open), supposed to be the same as the distance between the next fret (holding the string down on the previous fret) to the bottom of the string as well?
Actually; it's to taste how high the nut should be. As high as you like without causing intonation problems, or as low as you like without open string buzz, or any height in between.

When I set up a guitar I usually set the nut up so that when I press the string IN FRONT of the second fret, I have a very small (.2mm or so) gap between the string and the first fret.

I find this is low enough for my comfort when chording in the lower positions but not so low I get any buzzing when playing open.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:56 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
By the action.
What's comfortable to you?
People have different tastes. Some like high action--most like low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
Actually; it's to taste how high the nut should be. As high as you like without causing intonation problems, or as low as you like without open string buzz, or any height in between.

When I set up a guitar I usually set the nut up so that when I press the string IN FRONT of the second fret, I have a very small (.2mm or so) gap between the string and the first fret.

I find this is low enough for my comfort when chording in the lower positions but not so low I get any buzzing when playing open.
Both of these posts are telling you the secret to nut height adjustment. There is no "correct" height. It's entirely based on an individuals preferences for feel and action. When your guitar feels right while chording, the strings aren't buzzing too much, and your intonation is on the mark......... you found your perfect nut height.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Angry Re: Nut Height

Alright I think I finally understand the correct height, thank you everyone. But now there's another problem (****KKKK) so far my action is fine set at factory standards - 2mm bass, 1.5mm - trebble, neck relief is perfect at .4mm, bridge is completely level, and the nut height is low enough that it doesn't cause string buzzing when playing open notes. W00T ALMOST DONE... or so I think. The problem is the first fret of the low e string, I will play the first fret and I will get some string buzzing so now I am completely mind raped. To be honest if there's anyone out there that can just take my guitar in and find out what ever is wrong with the setup, the nut shims, or the neck shims I will pay you to do so I've spent about 2 - 3 years of my life with this and I'm pretty much just about done with all of it.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Alright I think I finally understand the correct height, thank you everyone. But now there's another problem (****KKKK) so far my action is fine set at factory standards - 2mm bass, 1.5mm - trebble, neck relief is perfect at .4mm, bridge is completely level, and the nut height is low enough that it doesn't cause string buzzing when playing open notes. W00T ALMOST DONE... or so I think. The problem is the first fret of the low e string, I will play the first fret and I will get some string buzzing so now I am completely mind raped. To be honest if there's anyone out there that can just take my guitar in and find out what ever is wrong with the setup, the nut shims, or the neck shims I will pay you to do so I've spent about 2 - 3 years of my life with this and I'm pretty much just about done with all of it.
DUDE, your working WAYY to hard on this. Is the buzz killing the note, or just annoying? With low action SOME buzzing should be expected. I'm sure you've posted it before, but what string gauges are you using? When you say the bridge is level; which part of the bridge is level to what? Factory specs don't mean squat. They're only a basic starting point. The same settings don't function on all guitars.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

The buzz is annoying, standard .009 guages, the bridge is level to the body - it's not that hard to see if it's level or not.

Last edited by Ericson; 12-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Tags
setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode