Nut issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Nut issues

ive bought a nut from allparts to replace my locking nut, however, it doesnt line up exactly right, it overlaps slightly on the bass side, so that the top e string will sit quite a way into the board, is there any solution to this, my dad has suggested making the holes in the neck larger so that the nuts have a small amount of play, enough to locate them properly in the new nut, any advice would be welcomed thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:52 AM

ok dude, A few questions, What guitar is it for, And what is allparts return policy?

I would'nt recommend making the holes bigger, Not when for a few quid you can get the right nut.

If it's Ibanez, Goto Machinehead.co.uk or headstock distrubution (Ibanez distributor)

They will be able to solve the problemo

Rob
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

thanx very much rob, its for an rg550, i asked rich before he said it was the closest nut i could get in terms of width, but i see your point, should've asked machinehead, seen as though they are ibanez people, we're not doing the nut today thank god, just the routing for the fil to put my new bridge on.
i got the nut from the pincotts supplier (uk) so ill have a look , it cost over 20 quid so i dont want to lose that.

just emailed pincotts im asking them how i can return the nut so fingers crossed
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Vendor

I wish Frank had OK'd the nut as he's alot more familiar with these aftermarket nuts. Anyway, sometimes even a factory nut will sit off to one side a hair where the old nut was centered perfect.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:19 PM

You just wish I had OK'd it so I could take the blame!

No, but seriously all you can do is match the radius and the width. There's no way to account for these stupid things. I have noticed that on narrower nuts it seems not to occur, but on the wider nuts it where it happens. It's like some people centered the holes across the nut width, while others kept the same dimension from one of the two sides, treble or bass. I have a Heartfield Talon I did with chrome hardware, and another custom neck with black hardware. The lock nut colors are opposite because when I tried the switch it was insane how much to the side they were. It was like they each favored the opposite side so when I tried switching them it was obsurd.

I wouldn't re-drill unless you had to. If you did I'd fill the old holes with real tight dowels first. Bear in mind you'll also have to widen the recess in the back to accept the bolt head. That part could be widened without filling it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Vendor

Feiton recomends just grinding the edges of the bolt instead of widenning the seat hole, not like there's not plenty of meat there

Tags
chrome hardware , lock nut , locking nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode