Nut / Locking pads issue? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Nut / Locking pads issue?

Hi

I have been suffering for a *long* time now with terrible open-e string buzz on my JS1000 -- however, having finally decided to get ambitious and try to fix it, I read through the tech section here, and rich's site (for the 1000th time.. ) and shimmed the nut. This has helped, slightly, except now the G string buzzes open too. I shimmed both sides (with a coke can!) and am very happy with the overall nut-height / action now. I have virtually no string buzz anywhere else on the neck, but *unbearable* buzz still on the G and low-E.

I have just been experimenting, and I think I have tracked it down: The string seems to be buzzing in the 'V' of the nut towards the fretboard end - and the buzzing doesn't go away (in most cases gets worse) when I lock the pad down,, and the buzz is present even with locking pads TOTALLY removed. If I 'press down' the string into the 'V' with a small allen wrench, the buzz disappears.

I tried moving around all the nut pads to different strings, and succeeded in 'moving' the buzz to the E and A strings, the G string. It seems that moving the nut pads around moves the buzz around - so I guess logically it looks like something iffy about the pads - but whatever combination I put them in, i just *can't* get rid of the open-e buzz. I can lessen it, but when it is lessened, the buzz 'moves' to a different string. All in all, very frustrating. As I inferred before - I am pretty certain this isn't fret buzz. Putting a piece of paper over the first fret still buzzes, and the buzz is still metallic (i'm going crazy, what with the paper and everything...)

I have the nut pads on the correct way round, and I have tried varying the pressure. My string retainer bar is V. tight on the strings - but I have experimented with all positions, to no avail.

Sorry for the long post... anyone else had this problem, or has any suggestions for a possible fix?

Thanks for the excellent tutorials, rich and jemsite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Vendor

You stringing with the ball ends at the tuners and maybe it's ball buzz?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Nope - ball ends cut off. This has been happening for a long while now, 10+ string changes too - I'm pretty certain the buzz is coming from the 'V' in the nut.. might try getting some new locking pads.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Vendor

I'm figuring your nut's still too low
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:23 PM

maybe a bad nut? cuz it sounds like your nut is way up there and if you can place a piece of paper under the strings and still get the 'metalic buzz' instead of the easily recognizable paper buzz you probably have a bad nut. What happens is that somewhere the string is lifted up by an uneven nut and when it vibrates, it touchs the edge of the nut. I'd say go ahead and try a new nut on there if you have one lying around, or buy one from Rich. I'm sure they're not that expensive. All of this is, of course, my speculation. I've never had this problem personally but have heard of others who has had this problem. Hope that helps

-Bo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 11:38 PM

I've had that problem, I know exactly what it is. The nut has an arch to it, and what's happening is (like bo said) the string is coming across the arch (more like a rainbow) and then not sitting tightly in the "V" groove. Sometimes locking helps because it puts some pressure on the forward part of the nut. But the fix (without buying a new nut) is to gently grind or file the area directly behind the "V" groove. That way the string's downward pressure will be against the fulcrum point. You'll never get rid of it until you do that. You'd have to raise the nut until you actually changed the trajectory of the string towards the bridge. It usually happens on Korean or other non-Japanese instruments. Sometimes it's just sloppy plating, other times I've seen it as a flaw in the mold.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: Nut / Locking pads issue?

Well, after a LONG time of experimenting, raising, lowering, shimming and pad swapping (ooh!) im still getting the buzz -

i'm going to try and get hold of a new nut - see if it fixes it. I will let you all know. Anything other than common sense needed to change the nut? Im guessing its a 'be careful, and DON'T OVERTIGHTEN' job... ?

Tags
allen wrench , fret buzz , nut pads , retainer bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode