Nut for Mikro guitars? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Nut for Mikro guitars?

Folks, I'd like to replace the nut on the PGMM31 I bought for my daughter with a graphtech if possible. The nut is SUPER high so I need to pull it to shorten it anyway. It's too high to just cut the string trenches down. Since tuning stability is one of the main complaints on these, I bought locking tuners and I will put 10s on when I replace the strings (when I have the new nut). 11s I think are too much for her right now.

The Ibanez page says that the neck is 41mm at the nut. I can only find a 41.98 Strat style nut on the products page for Graphtech. PT-5042-00 : BLACK TUSQ XL 42 MM FLAT BOTTOM STRAT NUT.

Any suggestions or experience with changing the nut on one of these?

Thanks folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 01:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Nut for Mikro guitars?

properly stretched 009 or better yet 008s should work great as would filing the existing nut slots. i'm pretty sure you're overcomplicating this by a large degree. I'm not a part of the "lawnmower parent" movement but having her learn how to keep the axe in tune & notes intonated is a huge part of playing guitar actually. Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 01:23 PM

Remove the existing nut and sand material off the base until you have the right height rather than hacking the existing slots then pop it back in with a droplet of superglue to hold it.

Your daughter is 4 years old and her tiny hands will struggle with a guitar, you would be better served teaching her the rudiments of music theory on a small electronic keyboard so that she can develop her ear and retain some transferable knowledge for when she can physically learn to play the guitar.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
properly stretched 009 or better yet 008s should work great as would filing the existing nut slots. i'm pretty sure you're overcomplicating this by a large degree. I'm not a part of the "lawnmower parent" movement but having her learn how to keep the axe in tune & notes intonated is a huge part of playing guitar actually. Good luck!
Cool,
Well One of the reasons for the heavier gauge strings is to promote tuning stability. The heavier gauge strings assist in this so I'll still go with 10s. Most people recommend 11's but I am going with locking tuners and I have a bunch of 10-42 and 10-48 sets laying around so I'm going to try that first. The nut being almost 1/4 inch off the top of the first fret isn't exactly helping it sound in tune when playing chords either. She's really young so this is just going to be a smash around guitar to get the feeling and gauge eventual interest in. But yo know... Dad may play it sometimes too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Remove the existing nut and sand material off the base until you have the right height rather than hacking the existing slots then pop it back in with a droplet of superglue to hold it.

Your daughter is 4 years old and her tiny hands will struggle with a guitar, you would be better served teaching her the rudiments of music theory on a small electronic keyboard so that she can develop her ear and retain some transferable knowledge for when she can physically learn to play the guitar.
That is plan "A". I can't cut the string grooves down anymore or it will affect their sound. I was hoping that a $12 modification would be available though to help keep the strings settled down.

She has a keyboard already and has learned a few songs. My family has always been musical and had instruments laying around. My mom and dad were both teachers of musical instruments. I remember being very young and plunking on my Dad's guitar strings. This guitar is not going to be a long term learning instrument I don't think. It's something cheap that kind of looks like Daddy's guitars that she can play around with however she wants. It as much as a cool thing for her parents right now as anything, and a fun project for me. I also plan on playing along with some of her songs on this and maybe creating some interest so it has to at least function. Right now she likes to get my guitars and play on the floor.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:00 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

One day she'll surely be glad you i bought the mikro!!! and keeping kids away from your own axes is also the reason i bought a mikro back in the day (which is retired along with a squire mini strat). I'm sure many are sold for this purpose alone. Just realize that 010 or 011 offers no tuning stability at a440. One could argue the extra tension required for 011/010 makes staying in tune that much more difficult pressuring the machine heads (which it seems like you already replaced probably due to the 011 use) & stressing wood as climate changes during the day/week (AC, heating, etc). The main drawback of 010 is to the player... it will make her fret hand more tense, add discomfort & encourage/teach a heavier touch fret hand... none of which is desirable for a player of any age. Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
One day she'll surely be glad you i bought the mikro!!! and keeping kids away from your own axes is also the reason i bought a mikro back in the day (which is retired along with a squire mini strat). I'm sure many are sold for this purpose alone. Just realize that 010 or 011 offers no tuning stability at a440. One could argue the extra tension required for 011/010 makes staying in tune that much more difficult pressuring the machine heads (which it seems like you already replaced probably due to the 011 use) & stressing wood as climate changes during the day/week (AC, heating, etc). The main drawback of 010 is to the player... it will make her fret hand more tense, add discomfort & encourage/teach a heavier touch fret hand... none of which is desirable for a player of any age. Good luck!
I hope one day to put her little guitar up on the wall of my office and show people as I explain that she is off on tour with some cool band!
I did get locking tuners. They came today so tonight is setup night for this little thing. Grandma is getting her an electric drum set for her birthday too so she'll be covered for a few years of destruction!!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode