nut shims - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

nut shims

Has anyone took the shims out of their locking nuts? I took mine out of my RG1570 and it seems to be fine, although i have read reports that people generally leave them in. I am however still having problems with the notes choking around the 12th fret.

I wish I could set up guitars properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
http://jemsite.com/tech/index.htm
the shim deals only with the open string clearing fret 1 after a proper setup... glen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Vendor

I think it was one of your other threads about the same subject [only one thread needed] that I told you to take a straight edge at least 3 frets long and see if it rocks on the 12th [or whatever fret is actually choking].
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:50 PM

"nut shims" still sounds like a painful medical complaint to me.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I think it was one of your other threads about the same subject [only one thread needed] that I told you to take a straight edge at least 3 frets long and see if it rocks on the 12th [or whatever fret is actually choking].
Yeah, I done that and it lies flat over the frets.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Vendor

Then see if the end of it will rock down into the 11th [in the spot where you're choking]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok I tried that but the frets seemed flat. There was no 'rocking'.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 01:12 PM

How low are you trying to get your action?

If it's lower than 2 mm at the 24/22 fret you're going to have some buzzing, especially if you have a heavy pick hand, or sloppy picking (no offense, some people don't pick so much as "hack", but it's all good.)

No guitar is going to have zero buzzing, unless you have your action at about 4 mm (even at 3 mm my guitars buzz in some places when I pick heavy).

Mic
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

At the minute up until the 12th fret it is reasonably low with minimum buzz. I removed the shims from the nut. There is choking on the B and E on the 12th fret and from there the action gets progressively higher (about 4-5mm on the 24th fret).

I also own a Jackson ATX and I managed to get the action quite low and even but I'm beat with the Ibanez. The shop where I bought it from have it and when I took it in they looked at it and I told them I needed the action lower and he said "I don't think I can get it much lower than that".

I don't really pick that heavy when I think about it although I could work on it being a bit more precise
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:22 PM

Did you check the neck for back bow? At 4 to 5 mm at the 24th you should pretty much have no buzz at all unless you're playing as hard as a trip-hammer.

Since you say it's low up to about the 12th and gets higher after that I'm guessing you have some back bow.

Again, go to Rich's site, it's all there for the reading.

Mic
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Vendor

If I had to make a guess from what you're saying, and not being able to see the neck, I'd say it's a bad neck. Necks don't backbow correctibly from the center of the neck, you overcrank a truss rod and it'll backbow from the 5th to the nut.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Well I loosened the truss rod slightly after i bought it and it was tight. I couldn't visibly see any backbow.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, after nearly three weeks of the guitar sitting back in the shop to get repaired, they told me that the tech was on holiday. I decided to look into this and asked a few people about the tech and they all said he is not very good at setting floating trems up. The main reason that the guitar was in though was that the 12th fret is a little high and it seems to be choking the high E and the B on said fret. I have decided to attempt the work either myself or get a little help from someone either on this forum or elsewhere so is there anyone that can help me?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 10:22 AM

It would help if you put your location in your profile.

If you're close to one of us there are many that would be glad to take a look at your guitar for you, either just because they/we're helpful, or for a small fee. ;-)

We'll gladly talk you through anything you need help with, but without actually having the guitar in hand it's hard to be sure what you need done.

Mic
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks. I've put my location in now and I realise you are a little out of my way

I am basically having real trouble setting my guitar to the desired action as the 12th fret is a little too high and the notes are choking.

Tags
floating trems , locking nut , locking nuts , nut shim , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode