Nut spinning off end of truss rod - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Nut spinning off end of truss rod

I have an S1520 with the original Wizzard neck. One of my favorite guitars, chipped here and there but just a solid-playing guitar. I've had it set up perfectly for me for some time but decided to make a few adjustments. I installed an Edge Pro some time back and there's not a lot of room to pull up. I also have a brass big block.

So I decided to try a Crunch Lab/Liquifire pickup set I've had lying around for about a year. While I was at it, I filed out some space to enable a bit more pull up on the trem. Set the guitar up in identical fashion to the way it was before. Everything seemed fine.

Let it sit for a week and after picking it up, noticed I had a low E buzz. So I take a look at everything and raise the bridge a hair. Still buzzes. Check neck relief. Pretty flat. I'd been opening/closing the windows and cycling the a/c lately due to weather. Gets hot during the day and cool at night and it tends to wreak havoc on my setup.

I go to adjust the truss rod and turning it counter clockwise has the nut coming off the end of the rod. For some reason I thought this was a dual action rod. It does not have an allen wrench slot. Uses a socket to adjust.

Is it a case that I've somehow run out of adjustment range or is it a matter that the nut is supposed to be "locked" on the shaft? Loctite?

I've not encountered this situation before so any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM

Reviews: 37
Re: Nut spinning off end of truss rod

hi bro.
if it has a single action trussrod it can come off.

that is probably all the relief it can give you.

i know for a fact that a rg220b neck with a s.a. trussrod the nut will come off counter clockwise.

all you can do at this point is put heavy gauge strings on it or press the neck.

Tags
buzz , dual action , nut , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode