OFR-Edge Rout Conversion Successful (WITH PICS) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up OFR-Edge Rout Conversion Successful (WITH PICS)

OK guys, the guitar is still a work in progress -- but just to report in, here is a preview post with some pics which show the OFR-Edge rout itself, as well as a few blurry shots of the installed LoPro Edge:

If you want to see some larger versions, you can download the images from here:

http://itv.i8.com/temp/edge/

I apologize for the blurry shots of the installed Edge. You probably won't believe this, but the digital camera's battery has just lost its ability to hold a charge. So, it's little more than a paperweight at the moment...

Back to the pics, I obviously still need to install the electronics. Once I get that done I'll have a working camera and will take a fresh round of photos. I'll also record it and post an MP3, to show that the neck is in tune. Not because I think I'm so clever, but to help prove that this mod is possible and even desirable.

The original OFR studs/holes were used. As far as what changed, I widened the rear portion of the OFR rout. Each side (L and R) was adjusted differently. Looking at the top-down photo, you can see I also had to extend the front-left area of the rout. Though it's impossible to tell from these photos, the trem sits in the modified rout almost perfectly. I think it doesn't look at all weird until you really stare at it with this subject in mind.

(I plan to measure and post the resulting rout pattern as well, which I pretty much eyeballed, shaving off more and more until it barely fit.)

RE: Intonation, I haven't made any changes and yet all the frets seem to be in tune, as well as the 12th-fret harmonics. I'm sure some adjustment will be needed, but for it to be this good right away is, I think, an excellent omen.

I must say, so far it plays great and has a nice clear tone. I can divebomb and do bombastic vibrato, and it feels plenty smooth. I am so glad to finally have an Edge in a non-Ibanez guitar! I mean, I love Ibanez design and necks, but there are other things I don't like. With this setup, I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.

As for the rest of the guitar, it's a Warmoth body and neck. Flame Koa top on Mahogany, with a Birdseye Maple neck and abalone dots. The Warmoth neck is particularly nice with its compound-radius fretboard. It is a snug fit and easily passes the business-card test; once I get the truss rod adjusted it should play extremely well, with approximately 1/16" action (which I already get at the low and high frets, but since the neck is shipped with the truss rod relaxed there is a noticeable bow in the middle.) I'm using a graphite nut and Planet Waves locking tuners. No locking nut, but I am going to install a string bar.

Bridge pickup is a handmade WCR Goodwood; neck is a Kent Armstrong Motherbucker. Electronics is a custom harness from http://www.has-sound.com/ (highly recommended!). I'm using a 5-position switch that provides various options across the 3 humbuckers contained in those 2 pickups.

Anyway I hope y'all enjoy the results! I know I will.

Last edited by Bolt Thrower; 02-16-2006 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Cool Re: OFR-Edge Rout Conversion Successful (WITH PICS)

Wow, dozens of views and no replies. Thanks everyone.

When I popped in to the Jemsite forum originally, there was something of a debate going on about this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Re: OFR-Edge Rout Conversion Successful (WITH PICS)

Chill out mate, a lot of them could be guests that can't post.

This is the first I've seen of it, damn good work, congrats!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:34 PM

looks awesome!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
Chill out mate, a lot of them could be guests that can't post.
Well... ok. Maybe you're right. =)

Anyway, just to wrap up the thread I did get the camera working again and was able to take a few nicer ones that show more detail:

(Hires versions at http://itv.i8.com/temp/edge/)

Last edited by Bolt Thrower; 02-18-2006 at 04:03 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 04:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

what is the debate? if you reroute things typically you can get the edge to fit the OFR route. with enough power tools and skill at your disposal, you can make anything fit

keeping in mind each guitar and brand might have subtle differences in the OFR routing, it makes the process guess-work at best. ...glen
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
what is the debate?
I'm referring to this thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38563

There I make my debut here at Jemsite in a discussion about this mod, where there were 3 pages on the subject. For example, there was the question of a possible showstopper due to differences in stud and saddle spacing between the OFR and Edge (see thread for pics).

So we talked about the, ahem, "theory" of this and would it work. That's why I started this thread -- to show critics, like dex, and the genuinely interested, like eelblack2, that it seems to have worked out just fine.

Would it have been better form to bump the old thread? I'll admit I never thought of that.

Last edited by Bolt Thrower; 02-17-2006 at 09:40 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:29 PM

im in love with that top... LOL

plus the maple board and the abalone dots are incredible.. Those are some of the best dots I seen in a while very very colorful..

get her together and let us hear it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 AM

That's a gorgeous guitar.... and extra props for putting a Motherbucker in the neck position. How do you have it wired?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge
That's a gorgeous guitar.... and extra props for putting a Motherbucker in the neck position. How do you have it wired?
Thanks a lot... I put the Motherbucker in there because I happen to have a vintage guitar with a Bartolini 4-coil dual-humbucker. That pickup is pretty neat. Also, I've often wished to have more gain in the neck position. Meanwhile I was having a custom wiring harness built by http://www.has-sound.com/ for a strat-style guitar.

I changed my mind and decided to use the harness in the Edge project, but the body had only 2 humbuckers routed -- and I had already committed to using the WCR Goodwood in the bridge position (by having the bobbins gold plated). So when I came across the Motherbucker it seemed like an efficient way to address all 3 issues.

Of course I knew this was the "wrong" thing to do, so that was something of a side benefit...

As for how it's wired:

Knobs:

1st knob: Volume (Push-pull switch)

2nd knob: Midrange Plus (Passive -- Lower half cuts midrange; Upper half cuts treble and bass; Middle is neutral)

3rd knob: Woman Tone (Passive -- a Clapton-style tone control)

5-Position Switch:

With the volume control pushed in:
1-Neck
2-Neck + Middle in Parallel
3-Neck + Bridge in Parallel
4-Middle + Bridge in Parallel
5-Bridge

With the volume control pulled out:
1-All three pickups in series
2-Middle + Neck in series
3-Bridge + Neck in series
4-Middle + Bridge in series
5-All three pickups in parallel

Last edited by Bolt Thrower; 02-20-2006 at 10:45 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 05:36 PM

Thumbs up Re: OFR-Edge Rout Conversion Successful (WITH PICS)

Bloody bloody gorgeous, one of my favourite body shapes this and exquisite top and binding. Any chance of a full frontal including the head?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosse Fox
Bloody bloody gorgeous, one of my favourite body shapes this and exquisite top and binding. Any chance of a full frontal including the head?
......erm, are you still talking about guitars.....?

Great looking axe - capped Mahogany bodies seem to sound much nicer to my humble ears than Basswood.

Cheers

david
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosse Fox
Thanks!! Here ya go...

One problem I have with the headstock is that Warmoth didn't give the top a lacquer finish. It has the satin finish for maple necks, which is so great for the neck itself, but since it doesn't involve many layers of buffed polyeurethane it doesn't have the same mirror-like polish.

As far as what to do about it, I was thinking some spray polyeurethane to try and get the Koa flaming to 'pop'. But the figuring on the headstock is nothing like the body anyway, so maybe trying to match it is a waste of time. I won't be able to do the kind of buffing job they do at the factory. I could possibly take the neck to one of the local luthiers but I'd rather not...

Last edited by Bolt Thrower; 02-20-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Tags
abalone dots , birdseye maple neck , body shape , bridge pickup , bridge position , graphite nut , high frets , local luthier , locking nut , locking tuners , maple neck , maple necks , neck position , planet waves , planet waves locking tuners , pro edge , truss rod , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode