Oiling Fretboard - remove all strings, some strings, or no strings? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Question Oiling Fretboard - remove all strings, some strings, or no strings?

Hi There, noob-ish question. (insert embarrassed emoticon here)

I am long overdue to oil the fretboards for my two rosewood guitars, my SZ320 and my RGT42FX, both which also happen to be fixed bridge.

I've got some Dunlop 65 lemon oil that I was going to try, and I'm due to change the strings on both guitars anyway.

Is it 'ok' to remove all the strings for the brief time it takes to oil the board, and then restring? Or is it better to remove only a few at a time (say the low 3, then high 3)? Or stick to only one at time? It would seem that the more strings are off, the easier and quicker the task of cleaning and oiling the fretboard would be.

I've observed on the forum here that there may be some mixed opinions on whether to remove all the strings together or not. Please share your experiences/opinions on this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Re: Oiling Fretboard - remove all strings, some strings, or no strings?

There's nothing wrong with doing it any of the ways you mentioned. I personally remove all the strings. This is because I use Elixer strings so I don't mind taking the time to set up the tremolo again, since I'm not doing it monthly.

If you change strings more often, then you should do it one at a time and save yourself the setup hassle.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Although the hassle aspect you mention is moot for my fixed bridge guitars. (But I'll keep that in mind if I need to do anything to the maple board on my RG550 -- But don't worry, I won't use the lemon oil on that!).

I was more interested in the perceived harm to the neck (from removing all string tension) that some are concerned with.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 05:18 PM

No harm what so ever no way no chance, take them all of.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Take the strings off. If you're oiling the fretboard, you should at least polish up the frets while you're at it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 PM

I would suggest you down tune a bit, remove the springs in the back, and pop the whole tremolo out, strings still attached. Polish up the frets and oil the board and then pop the tremolo back in, reattach the springs and bring it back up to tune. Then you can change the strings one at a time. I personally think it would take less time to do this than it does to get it balanced back out after removing all the strings.

Edit: I just realized you said they are both fixed bridge. No need to worry about the trem in that case.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Take the strings off. If you're oiling the fretboard, you should at least polish up the frets while you're at it.
This

I always remove all the strings when restringing and cleaning/oiling the fret board.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Just take em all off! I use Dunlop Deep Conditioner

Why do people think that if you remove the strings....... You then need to set up the trem???
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
Just take em all off! I use Dunlop Deep Conditioner

Why do people think that if you remove the strings....... You then need to set up the trem???
Spring shock, shifting parts, the hassle of getting all the tensions equal again which takes forever to do?

Tags
fretboard oiling , rosewood , string removal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode