Is it okay to repaint the resoncast body? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Is it okay to repaint the resoncast body?

I got Japanese Ibanez RX 180 but with paint cracks on all edges. I think this is veneer only. Is it okay to repaint? Is it true that resoncast wood tends to expand from time to time due to changes of weather that causes paint crack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:14 AM

Re: Is it okay to repaint the resoncast body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockartlml View Post
I got Japanese Ibanez RX 180 but with paint cracks on all edges. I think this is veneer only. Is it okay to repaint? Is it true that resoncast wood tends to expand from time to time due to changes of weather that causes paint crack?
Resoncast is like MDF, it is incredibly dry and therefore absorbs moisture very easily so it swells slightly in humid conditions causing the cracking you describe.

There is no cure for it, if you repaint it will just crack again, you could replace the resoncast body with a solid wooden body instead if you want a permanent fix.

This has happened because you live in the Philippines where humidity can get very high indeed, in theory if the entire body is properly painted and sealed so no moisture can be absorbed then it shouldn't happen, in practice this is difficult to do in the neck pocket and body cavities.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockartlml View Post
Resoncast is like MDF, it is incredibly dry and therefore absorbs moisture very easily so it swells slightly in humid conditions causing the cracking you describe.

There is no cure for it, if you repaint it will just crack again, you could replace the resoncast body with a solid wooden body instead if you want a permanent fix.

This has happened because you live in the Philippines where humidity can get very high indeed, in theory if the entire body is properly painted and sealed so no moisture can be absorbed then it shouldn't happen, in practice this is difficult to do in the neck pocket and body cavities.
Thanks for the advice! Ill request to luthier shop to duplicate the body in a solid wood. Have a nice day ahead!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode