Old JEM7VWH in need of repair before I sell it - need opinions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Old JEM7VWH in need of repair before I sell it - need opinions

Hi there from Singapore:

I have an old JEM 7VWH I purchased in 2009. It's been played a lot (but not in the last 1-2 years or so) and has... issues. I wish to sell the guitar (or spruce it up to a sellable condition), and I removed the strings a couple of weeks ago but was caught up with life issues and didn't follow-through with the plan. This post mainly concerns physical issues with the guitar (rust, fret wear, bridge, etc.). I could've done better with maintenance given the play time and climate here but it is what it is.

Defects list:

1) I'm missing a screw from the low E string side of the bridge that has gone missing. The saddle is stuck to the bridge (probably corrosion/rust issues) and the low E string is stuck in the bridge.
2) Rusty parts in general - pickups, screws, tuning pegs. Especially the bridge.
3) Fret wear. The neck and fretboard are okay otherwise
4) Might have issues with the electronics/pickups but I haven't tested them since removing the strings.
5) Some dings on the back of the guitar but I believe that's minor.

Pics below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jr...C-S7n0-zoXwZ_d

So I have several options:

1) Sell it as it is for a really low price and get the next owner/shop to fix it
2) Purchase the screw part, and try to salvage the bridge, restring the guitar, and then sell it
3) Purchase a new bridge.

It feels that this model is difficult to sell with less folks wanting to play floyd rose and with the new AZs out.

Thanks - any advice is appreciated.

Bsum

Last edited by BsumGeo; 04-14-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Re: Old JEM7VWH in need of repair before I sell it - need opinions

at the very least I'd order the saddle screw for the low E. The trem is going to be tough to clean without losing more of the gold finish. You could use some gentle auto polish (i really like meguiars) and maybe a tooth brush to help clean the trem. When i have done guitars like this, i usually take everything i can take off the trem and clean the parts individually. You can spray paint the little black screws. You can use some 0000 steel wool to polish the frets and some mineral oil to condition the fret board.

The auto polish should help clean the pickup tops, and some of the rust in the pole pieces. It should also help the pickguard a little.

It is really a matter of how much, money, time and effort do you want to put in, or how much to you want to get for it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM

I'd get the guitar looking as good as possible without spending a lot of money on it, and I'd definitely replace the missing screw and get everything working on the bridge again. Too big of a price difference for a working guitar vs. low E can't be removed project guitar.

Pull the bridge right out and soak it with some screw removal solvent for a few days, then gently start working the 3mm clamping screw (in both directions) until it starts to loosen.

If you don't do the work, you'll probably easily find someone willing to do it themselves, but they'll likely be wanting a bargain if the guitar isn't already playable when they buy it.

Test the pickups by plugging in and touching a screwdriver tip to a pole piece on each pickup as you toggle the selector switch. Turn the pots and see verify they're working quietly or not.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Vendor

If the low E won't come out but it is free the ball end in sticking thru the seat on the backside and hanging up. just push the string out thru the back. replace the screw. forget cleaning it, if you're inexperienced you can easily do more harm than good. Make it playable and sell.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the replies. I'll definitely look to get the screw replaced and see how much it costs for someone to make the metal parts more presentable - if it's <$100 I'd go with that option and then sell the guitar since I'm not experienced with maintenance.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Hey there,

76Stratman here. I haven't posted on Jemsite in a few years and now live in Singapore after relocating from Amsterdam and before that the USA. I live in Siglap near Bedok MRT. Send me a private message so we can discuss your JEM7VWH. I can do a lot of my own repairs and refinishing and maybe we can come up with a deal we both like.

Quick questions: do you have the original hard shell case, is this Japanese built model or built somewhere else.

I own the following;

76 Fender Stratocaster (original owner)
87 RG550
87 JEM777SK
90 Jackson Soloist SL1
94 Universe BK
07 RG 550 20th anniversary
08 Jem7VWH

Everything is in storage in the USA except the RG550 and the Universe. They are with me in Singapore.

Best Regards

Tags
7vwh , bridge , ibanez jem , repair , sell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode