Old vs New Floyd - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Old vs New Floyd

I have an 80s Floyd Rose on my guitar--it has the screw in mounting posts. I'd like to replace it but it looks like new Floyds come with solid inserts. Is it possible to drill out the existing screw holes to take the new posts? Or do I have to find an older Floyd?

Also, I wouldn't mind getting an Edge Pro or Lo Pro but I think they're too big for a standard Floyd route?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 04:48 PM

The new floyd may work fine with the old posts. I don't think they changed the pivot points' geometry.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 06:57 PM
rgr

The new ones will work fine with the old screw posts, in fact, the old screw posts are much better!!! They give a direct connection to the wood and don't work loose unless they have been through alot of abuse. The threaded inserts and screws on the other hand are usually a fairly loose fit to start with. This is the problem that the old Ibanez screw insert assemblies with the locking screws fixed, unfortunately they have decided not to do that anymore. For a full disertation on the old vs new Ibanez inserts, check out Rich's site, www.ibanezrules.com.

So, to recap, use the old style screws.

Roger
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

The thing is, my current Floyd is from another guitar. They're both drilled for the old screw posts. So if I get a new Floyd, one of the guitars would have to get the new posts.

I might try tracking down an old Floyd, but I was wondering if I do get a new one if I can use the new stud posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

I looked around a bit more and the Fender site shows both stud and screw type mounting posts for their Floyds. They don't sell them directly, though, as far as I can tell. Places that actually sell them are either vague (Allparts) or say explicitly that they only sell the stud type mounts (Warmoth).

Argh!

What's the difference between an Original Floyd Rose, Floyd Rose II, and Floyd Rose Pro, btw?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 08:53 PM

If i get our question, here's the simple answer. YES.

Meaning old Floyd or new Floyd will work with old screw posts or bushing(insert)/post combination. They will all work together, it's up to you. I used the wood screw type for a long time and they worked themselves loose in the wood. My suggestion is to get the bushing & post combo. You can get them from Stew Mac or the real Floyd Rose version (either will work) from a Fender dealer.

The Original Floyd Rose has a raised fine tuners behind the bridge. A Floyd Rose PRO (I have both versions) is low profile with the tuners out of the way like an Ibanez LoPro. I think the blocks are a different thickness on them, at least they are on mine but my OFR is from like 1984 and my PRO is new. The new OFRbloacks may be the same as the PRO now.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 09:18 PM

The OFR is well, and OFR.

The Pro, like CrossingStar said is a low profile trem, with rounded saddle tops(and a slightly narrower string spacing).

These are both made by Schaller in Germany.

The Floyd Rose II that Fender sells is a Korean copy of a Schaller licensed floyd. The theory for this, is that Schaller didn't want to manufacture the Floyd IIs for Floyd Rose while they still had to put "Licensed Under..blahblah" on their own trems.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

My original question was whether or not I could put the stud mounts on a guitar originally drilled for the screw mounts. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

But it sounds like I'm better off using the screw mounts so I'll try to track those down. Thanks for the replies!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 04:58 AM
dex

Sure you can.
Buy the new posts with the inserts, drill the old screw holes, press the unserts and you are good to go.
If you can, use a press drill mount and make sure that you don't drill too deep.
Normaly guitars that have the screw in FR posts are too old and don't have recessed trem cavity (trem is on top of the guitar, not in it) so if that is the case you will be able to fit an EDGE or Lo Pro quite easy but they are bulkier than the FR and might look wrong.

ilia
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:26 AM
rgr

Dex is right, just drill out the holes, put in a little wood glue (to lubricate pressing the insert as well as seating when it dries) and put in the new stud. The contact between the bridge and the stud, screw in or insert, is the same. But, you can buy the wood screw type also, ESP still uses them because they think they are better, I agree, others don't. If you want the "old" wood screw type, call www.drumcityguitarland.com and ask for Ross, he's the repair guy and can hook you up. I just had a brand new pair that I ended up not needing, so I sold them.

$0.02,
Roger
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 12:11 AM

if you want the screws, warmoth has them i think. I just saw some on their catalogue

-Bo

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose pro , recessed trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode