OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
if you epoxy it in what happens if you ever have to remove it? Not a good option at all.

I'd use wood dough, like I've already detailed in the link RGT gave you.
Well, the only time you'd have to remove it again is if it becomes loose again, no? Which would mean it should come out. I supposed a post could break off in the anchor, but even that can be remedied without removing the anchor. That said, what you pointed out is part of why I think it's the second best option, with a complete fill and redrill being the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Vendor

You only have 2mm between the edge of the hole and the edge of the rout. On a guitar that was as damaged as yours, what's a little more damage if you have to pull it because it's loose again? Because you will, and now it has 1+mm on epoxy on the anchor to pull also. Poor choice, unless it's a beater and you don't care. I wouldn't even consider it an option at all.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
The guys at http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ6.shtml say :

" In this age of instant gratification, we have universally accepted Cyanoacrylate (CA) glue for one single characteristic - Instant Cure. We willingly overlook its many failings for this one convenience. CA glue is not a good structural adhesive for wood and it is not a good "crack filler". Yet, these are the most common uses for CA glues by the woodturner. Our best use for CA may be as a wood hardener and a finish."

*confused* Although I understand that I just need to fix the stud again. Will the CA soak into the (very small) gap between wood and stud?

(damn, I really need to fix this axe, playing any other of my axes nowadays feels like eating a meal without salt or something. I need my whammy functioning on my UV asap )

Regards,

JP
I read this article. It explains how CA is not a good bonding agent for structural large scale purposes. Turning wood on a lathe is FAR more violent than anything your stud will ever see.

From the same article:
Quote:
Most of the time we can get away with using CA glues because we are staying below the limits of its strength and durability, and any elasticity in the joint is from the wood itself, not the glue.
The CA stud repair has been performed hundreds, if not thousands, of times. If you follow Rich's tutorial, you will be 100% successful and your guitar will be holding tune like it was always meant to be.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You only have 2mm between the edge of the hole and the edge of the rout. On a guitar that was as damaged as yours, what's a little more damage if you have to pull it because it's loose again? Because you will, and now it has 1+mm on epoxy on the anchor to pull also. Poor choice, unless it's a beater and you don't care. I wouldn't even consider it an option at all.
Well, the 470 is a beater so I didn't care, so yeah. That said, my "fix" accomplished its purpose. A better guitar I fill and redrill, no doubt.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Vendor

I wouldn't plug and drill, because I can guarantee when you press the anchor back in you will crack the cavity, which is why it is not and never will be an option in the list.

If the gap is over 1mm I always recommend the wood dough over CA. It forms to the cavity to fill very nicely and is 10 times harder than the wood is.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't plug and drill, because I can guarantee when you press the anchor back in you will crack the cavity, which is why it is not and never will be an option in the list.

If the gap is over 1mm I always recommend the wood dough over CA. It forms to the cavity to fill very nicely and is 10 times harder than the wood is.
Okay. Well I'm glad I didn't do that then.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Quote:

Rich,

There is space for the stud to wiggle a little, but there are no visible "margins" between the stud and the wood itself. Let me try to explain as clear as possible what's the issue.

What caused this to happened in the first place was that when I wanted to set up the trem one day, the anchor was oxidized inside the stud, and when it finally came loose, the stud also gave a little way. I was as careful as possible, but there was no other way than putting enough torque on the anchor until it would loosen up. I guess that the grooves of the stud itself got some leeway in the wood of the body itself due the necessary force applied. It's also when the detuning problems began. It was something that happened gradually (the force of my heavy custom gauche working on the now loose stud in the wood... )

I have disassembled the guitar now so I could take a good look. So what is basically going on, is that the stud itself in it's cavity has some leeway, but it is not observable. I can see the stud sit in the wood and besides the missing paint chip, there are no visible signs of leeway, as in margins or whatever. Ergo: it is the stud itself that gave a little way in it's own cavity in the wood.

I think that seen these facts, the way to go is definitely pulling the whole stud. Once it is pulled, I'd use the wood paste as suggested by Rich, let it dry out for some days and than my trem should be stable again.

What do the pros think?

Thanks for all the help and advice. You guys are awesome!

regards,

JP

Last edited by Demogorgos; 05-29-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typos
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Vendor

You're calling the anchor the stud.

What to use is best determined by how much it moves. You said 1 1/2mm. If it isn't and under 1mm then I'd use CA to build up the head side of the hole.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Quote:
You're calling the anchor the stud.

What to use is best determined by how much it moves. You said 1 1/2mm. If it isn't and under 1mm then I'd use CA to build up the head side of the hole.
OK, so the "anchor" is the plug into the body. I cannot see exactly how much it moves, since the bridge stud also moves a lot inside the anchor, but that I can solve with some Teflon. Let me screw it with some Teflon so that it is rigid, and I'll try so determine how much the anchor actually moves. The figure of 1 1/2 mm was an estimation. It is less I suspect. Basically, the anchor wobbles in the cavity + the bridge stud wobbles inside the cavity

Now, if the anchor wobbles in the cavity, wouldn't pulling it and fixing it again from scratch be a better solution that CA?

Just asking. I'll do whatever it takes to fix this guitar. I'm playing my Jem now, and I'm not happy...

Regards,

JP
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Vendor

You're pulling the anchor no matter how you fix it.

Lock the stud to stop it from wobbling. You may not be qualified to do this yourself, you don't seem to be grasping the situation or the fix.
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Quote:
You're pulling the anchor no matter how you fix it.

Lock the stud to stop it from wobbling. You may not be qualified to do this yourself, you don't seem to be grasping the situation or the fix.
I thought so, thank you.

I'm an engineer btw and have a Degree in Computer Sciences, I think I'll be able to manage.

In any case, a luthier friend of mine will have a look at it before I do anything drastic Always let the pro handle it, if possible, and that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the input pal It is much appreciated.

regards,

JP
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
I see.............an engineer over 40 years old with a degree in computer sciences desperate needing help about guitar studs ?!
Yeah this place is still unbeatable, the best comedy show ever
Is there a reason why you continue to post your "invaluable thoughts" in threads?

Jimmy
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

No need to moderate 6fingers.

A guitar is just wood & wire. But sometimes, you end up falling in love with a guitar. And this is the case here. I used to build my own guitars with warmoth parts and stuff in the 80's. And wasted a few good necks and bodies in the process of learning the ropes. I just want to make sure this particular UV remains playable, so I ask the most knowledgeable collection of people I know: jemsite. On top of that they know what it means to have a "special guitar", so you get that extra special attention and dedication to help one out.

So, if that doesn't measure to up your scales for an engineer, you probably have your priorities wrong, or maybe you're just another troll.

In any case: to all people out here, thanks for all the input as always.

Regards,

JP

Tags
mounting studs , repairs , uv7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode