OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Hi,

OMG OMG OMG

My UV kept going out of tune, so I disassembled the edge trem and then found out what was wrong:

The mounting stud is wiggling at the high E side, both the stud itself and the stud insert are wiggly

Now, I can't see if the inner stud wobbles due to a crack or something - it looks OK as far as I can see - but there's definitely also a lot of space on the stud insert...

So, what can I do to repair this? New body with fresh studs and etc?

Thanks in advance for any input...

I'm devastated, this UV is my fav axe

Regards,

JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Hmmm,

Setup the whole guitar again, and...

It plays perfectly and stays in tune even when I abuse the trem until string breakage...

I hope it stays like that now... For a long time... Who knows...

*Carpe diem and enjoys favorite axe*

Here is a picture:

Regards,

JP
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Hey JP, did you take a picture of the stud and insert??
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM

I actually like the BRM better.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Vendor

Your instability will return. Loose anchors are the most common cause in these old basswood guitars. It needs to be fixed.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Your instability will return. Loose anchors are the most common cause in these old basswood guitars. It needs to be fixed.
Yup Rich,

Picked up the axe after a couple of hours, and same story Set it up as a hard tail now, so I can at least play it without using the whammy bar. As long as I don't use the whammy, it's absolutely in tune.

What is the exact fix for this? New stud anchors?

On a side note I have to admit that I always expected this axe to get issues, it's a '97 UVBK that has been played seriously. It's quite beat up, but that's something that I love about it. Also, the stud anchor is only loose at the High E side, the other one is solid.

Regards,

JP
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM

The fix is actually fairly simple and inexpensive.

Rich did a nice write-up on it here: See post #7 under "the guitar has a problem"
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM

tooth pick trick
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM

I'm new on this site and was browsing the section looking for some pickup and volume pot wiring info when I saw your post. I had the same exact thing happen with my 9 year old son's Squier Strat Deluxe that has a basswood body and was made in Indonesia.

I'm certainly not a guitar repair expert, but Rich is right: it needs to be fixed.

I've never had anything against basswood when it comes to tone and my son's guitar is certainly nice overall considering it was only $229 new. However, I had seen people comment about basswood being a relatively "soft" wood. Maybe there is a lot of variability with the basswood being used for guitar bodies, but I can tell you that his Squier has a very soft basswood body. I noticed that the paint was cracked just slightly around one of the mounting studs, so I took off the strings because they needed changing anyway and proceeded to inspect what was going on. I removed the backplate, released the tremolo springs, and took it apart to concentrate just on the mounting stud. I loosened it, tightened it, and the stud started spinning in the wood. I pulled up slightly on the stud, and the whole thing started coming out of the body.
Since it was only a $229 guitar, I didn't think that taking it to a repair shop necessarily was the best course of action. I then looked at the other stud that did not have any cracks around it and did a minor "stress test" by wiggling it a bit, loosening and tightening, and it spun also. I now realized that his strat body was made out of some really soft wood: it even felt soft when touching the unpainted wood.
My solution? I pulled both studs out completely, put a light coat of oil on the threads and screwed them back together and tightened all the way down, used a Q-tip to put a small amount of white gorilla glue on the walls of the wood holes, and inserted the studs back into the guitar. I was careful to not use too much gorilla glue, because it expands a lot.
I then examined the studs that were back in the guitar to make sure no glue had come out onto the paint, and wiped everything off. For the next two hours, I kept checking back every 10 to 15 minutes to wipe away any excess gorilla glue that was expanding and coming out a little bit. I then waited a full 24 hours to reassemble the guitar. When putting the tremolo back together, I could tell that the mounting studs were now rock solid.

That was 3 months ago and the mounting studs are still solid as a rock and the tremolo has no problem withstanding my 9 year old son hammering on the trem bar as much as he wants. The problem with the loose mounting stud might have been mostly caused by him slamming the trem bar so hard, but now it's fine and I don't have to worry about it.

I'm sure there are better ways to go about fixing a mounting stud problem, but I took the "path of least resistance" given the fact that it was a $229 guitar being played by an aggressive 9 year old boy. There must be a lot of posts about basswood, but I just wanted to respond and let you know that we had a similar situation was a Squier basswood guitar.

Last edited by GuitaristDad; 05-03-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: OMG a mounting stud on my UV is wiggling... Can this be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The fix is actually fairly simple and inexpensive.

Rich did a nice write-up on it here: See post #7 under "the guitar has a problem"
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
Thanks so much for the help. That article is useful!

Regards,

JP
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Hey JP, did you take a picture of the stud and insert??
Nope, I just posted a pic of the guitar

But... I will document the repair in pictures when I get down on it and post them here.

Regards,

JP

On a sidenote, quick question: I'm considering maybe buying a Jem7V7, which is alder. Is alder harder then basswood?
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM

Anyone ever use wood petrifier? you can get it at Ace hardware.. use some of that on your stud holes, then a little glue on the stud and I bet it won't come loose again.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Vendor

Nothing is going to harden the wood any further than it can penetrate. I've always used CA, I doubt anything would wick in further.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Nothing is going to harden the wood any further than it can penetrate. I've always used CA, I doubt anything would wick in further.
I used some on an old 80's beater neck pocket and it worked rather well.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitaristDad View Post
I'm new on this site and was browsing the section looking for some pickup and volume pot wiring info when I saw your post. I had the same exact thing happen with my 9 year old son's Squier Strat Deluxe that has a basswood body and was made in Indonesia.

I'm certainly not a guitar repair expert, but Rich is right: it needs to be fixed.

I've never had anything against basswood when it comes to tone and my son's guitar is certainly nice overall considering it was only $229 new. However, I had seen people comment about basswood being a relatively "soft" wood. Maybe there is a lot of variability with the basswood being used for guitar bodies, but I can tell you that his Squier has a very soft basswood body. I noticed that the paint was cracked just slightly around one of the mounting studs, so I took off the strings because they needed changing anyway and proceeded to inspect what was going on. I removed the backplate, released the tremolo springs, and took it apart to concentrate just on the mounting stud. I loosened it, tightened it, and the stud started spinning in the wood. I pulled up slightly on the stud, and the whole thing started coming out of the body.
Since it was only a $229 guitar, I didn't think that taking it to a repair shop necessarily was the best course of action. I then looked at the other stud that did not have any cracks around it and did a minor "stress test" by wiggling it a bit, loosening and tightening, and it spun also. I now realized that his strat body was made out of some really soft wood: it even felt soft when touching the unpainted wood.
My solution? I pulled both studs out completely, put a light coat of oil on the threads and screwed them back together and tightened all the way down, used a Q-tip to put a small amount of white gorilla glue on the walls of the wood holes, and inserted the studs back into the guitar. I was careful to not use too much gorilla glue, because it expands a lot.
I then examined the studs that were back in the guitar to make sure no glue had come out onto the paint, and wiped everything off. For the next two hours, I kept checking back every 10 to 15 minutes to wipe away any excess gorilla glue that was expanding and coming out a little bit. I then waited a full 24 hours to reassemble the guitar. When putting the tremolo back together, I could tell that the mounting studs were now rock solid.

That was 3 months ago and the mounting studs are still solid as a rock and the tremolo has no problem withstanding my 9 year old son hammering on the trem bar as much as he wants. The problem with the loose mounting stud might have been mostly caused by him slamming the trem bar so hard, but now it's fine and I don't have to worry about it.

I'm sure there are better ways to go about fixing a mounting stud problem, but I took the "path of least resistance" given the fact that it was a $229 guitar being played by an aggressive 9 year old boy. There must be a lot of posts about basswood, but I just wanted to respond and let you know that we had a similar situation was a Squier basswood guitar.
Thanks for the input man! I'm definitely going to repair this axe...

Regards,

JP

Tags
mounting studs , repairs , uv7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode