Open string-buzz at high B & E - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Paw

Open string-buzz at high B & E

I've got a problem with my floral jem. Lately, after changing the strings and setting the bridge higher, I've encountered sitar-like buzz when playing the high e-string and b-string open. I'm using 9-42 ernie ball strings on this one. The string buzz is most likely from the nut. Anyone experienced the same thing? What can I do? It sounds horrendous:S

All help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Open string-buzz at high B & E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw View Post
The string buzz is most likely from the nut.
Does the buzz go away when you fret the E and B strings at the first fret?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Paw

Yes, it does
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/nut.htm
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
Read the whole thing, and it just helped me set up my Universe properly. Sadly, the problem isn't that the strings vibrate against the first fret, that would be to easy.. The nut itself may be the problem. I'll try messing with shims some day to see if it makes a difference though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw

Been a while since last post. I said I would be messing around with shims to see what happened, but I never got around to it, until yesterday. I revive this one because it may help someone else in the future.

I decided to get rid of that damn string buzz once and for all. I wanted to eliminate all possibilities from where the buzz could appear. First, I took the bridge of, cleaned it, and put it together. I made sure there were no loose parts afterward. I put on new strings, tuned up, and tried it out. Still the annoying buzz was present, so the bridge was not the problem.

Although I could see the strings not touching the first fret when ringed, I raised the nut by putting another shim under the treble side (just to be 100% sure). Still no difference.

There were only one thing left to try: I took out the "new" shim and the wooden shim that was there from the start (the wooden shim was as wide and long as the underside of the nut, and supported it entirely). I cut off a thin piece by it's length from the wooden shim and placed it as close to the fretboard as possible under the nut. The result, after tightening the screws, was a nut with a steeper angle due to missing physical support underneath the part of the nut that's closest to the tuners. This fixed the problem entirely.

So, if your floyd-equipped guitar mystically buzzes when you play high e's and/or b's, you may want to try this "fix"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Vendor

The easy way to rule that out is to take a pick and press down on the string as it exits the nut.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The easy way to rule that out is to take a pick and press down on the string as it exits the nut.
Ahh, thanks for telling me now:P grrr

Tags
b-string , high e , open , string buzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode