Original edge, knife edge issues? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Original edge, knife edge issues?

Hey all,

I say knife edge issues with a ? as this is only an amateurs guess really. I bought a brand new JEM70v (don't hold it against it) recently, plays well, holds it's tune... unless you use the whammy bar.

If you dive the tuning goes flat, if you pull up, the tuning goes sharp... if you play with the whammy til the E in in tune, then everything is in tune again. So this doesn't seem to be problems with the nut etc.

If I leave my action at stock height - tuning goes a tiny bit flat/sharp after whammy use, so little it's actually barely noticeable unless I have my tuner up. However if I lower my action, tuning goes ALOT flat/sharp, a full tone + and -.

So I put this down to my knife edge... I took the trem off and lubed up the KE's with whatever I had around (Chapstick). This did nothing.

Could a brand new edge need sharpening on its KE's? Seems crazy. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jamie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Original edge, knife edge issues?

sounds like the nut hold down screws are loose or stripped.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

If it was the nut, why would the action affect the degree it goes out of tune? Brand new nuts which tighten well, doesn't seem to be the issue.

Jamie.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 05:07 AM
Vendor

one problem

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/lockdown.htm
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Reviews: 15

I bought a used guitar (with a licensed Floyd) with the exact same problem. I tried sharpening the knife edges with a file, and the problem get a lot better, but never perfect.

I replaced the licensed Floyd with a new Floyd Rose Original, and the problem went away, and the guitar tuning is rock solid.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:38 AM

get the trem level as possible so its flush with the body on the kinfe edge make sure the locking nut screws are pretty tight that screw into the neck now tune the guitar to pitch e standard grab the strings little over half way and shake them up and down the fretboard retune bend at the 3rd fret of the low e when you tune it once its in tune and then check tuneing if some go flat/sharp retune it to normal once its in e standard (btw make sure all pitches on each string a little sharp i just like it that way) then lock it down at the locking nut

Now that you know your trem is perfectly level at the body do a whammy downward only when it comes back to neutral check the tuner string by string lets say the high e b and g string are flat then what you do is go behind the springs and tighten the g b high e (the bottom screw)just a tad then turn the guitar playing position (make sure its in playing position for all of this) and then check it should be in tune now for that side (some times the low e a d side could be in tune sometimes it wont be and if its not just do the same procedure as what i talked about it usually works great! put some chapstick in the knife edges where the knife edges rest at and you should be good too go! let me know if this works for yah

ALSO make sure the trem screws that tighten the string are fairly sung too

Last edited by dartvader; 03-31-2016 at 03:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode