Original Floyd Rose Replacement query - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Original Floyd Rose Replacement query

Hi all,

I am thinking of replacing the Original Floyd Rose on my guitar to make it feel closer to my other guitar which is equipped with an Edge Zero when palm muting as the saddle edge feels sharp on the OFR.

Right now I'm choosing between a Gotoh GE1996T and a Floyd Rose Pro

Would like to hear your opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 04:38 PM

Re: Original Floyd Rose Replacement query

The Gotoh bridge is the same as the Original Floyd Rose, the Floyd Rose Pro is probably closer to what you're looking for in terms of palm feel, but it all depends on your fingerboard radius. The Floyd radius is 12" and the Pro is 16", it needs to match your existing radius, or be close enough that it doesn't bother you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 PM

Reviews: 120

The Gotoh bridge is lower profile than OFR, while still retaining the general style. The saddles are more rounded off, like the original Edge, etc, so it's going to feel smoother under the hand than the Floyd Rose options.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 03:30 PM

You are correct sir, they are indeed slightly lower and rounded, much more so that the Floyd. If this bridge suits your requirements I highly recommend it, even over the Original Floyd Rose, but don't tell Floyd I said that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

double post

Last edited by V-Trigger; 03-08-2018 at 09:58 AM. Reason: double post
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Seems like the Gotoh Floyd Rose is what I'm looking for with your guys description of the rounded saddles on it.
Another question, Would the difference in radius between the Gotoh FR and OFR be prominent enough to be felt when playing or is it negligible?

It would be better If I could try a guitar equipped with it beforehand but I think only Suhrs and EBMMs have the Gotoh Bridges stock on their FR equipped guitars. Any more readily available guitars equipped with the Gotoh FR Bridge?

Many Thanks!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:03 PM

The radius on the Gotoh and Floyd are the same, 12", it should suit you purposes nicely.

I've only ever seen the Gotoh mounted on Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. If you like the Floyd tremolo you will like the Gotoh better, they're very similar in feel and performance but the build quality and finish are better on the Gotoh.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Got the Gotoh Floyd and installed it in my guitar, it now has that feel that I was looking for. No more annoying sharpness for when my right hand is resting on the bridge.

My guitar's sound changed and became slightly warmer though even with the new strings.

Overall, a worthwhile change I think, would recommend it over the OFR.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 09:21 PM

You can change the radius of the bridge to suit with under saddle shims, keep your original nut on the guitar as it will already match your fretboard radius

Tags
floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode