Oscillating when bending??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Oscillating when bending???

Hey guys,

I have an RG520 with the Edge Trem.

I seem to be getting what would be best described as a "sympathetic" oscillation when I do some bends/vibrato on the G string. It is usually very noticable when I play at around the 15th or 17th fret (up in that area of the neck).

I have to do some REALLY wide vibrator on the G string to get it to sound right. If I don't , it almost sounds like the notes are out of tune the way it oscillates.

Is there any way to fix this (without blocking the trem)?

Thanks

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 03:00 PM

Reviews: 1
Yes, mute your other strings.
Also, put a piece of cotton in the trm spring cavity to reduce that vibration as well, that will help tighten up your sound.

Bamm
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure the other strings are not ringing out.

I am using some shrink tubing inside the trem springs. I just saw a picture of a guy who put a sponge inside the springs. Maybe I'll give that a try.

I really think it has something to do with the trem moving slightly (not shifting but oscillating somehow). I just don't what to do about it. Hopefully Rich will have some ideas.

Thanks

Rob
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:58 PM

I think the oscillation is cause by the string hitting the higher frets(the fret itself) than the one you are fretting. For example you are bending the 15th fret, the string is probably touching the 17th fret. You probably have a low action. You could cure this by putting the action higher or go to a technician to do a fret work(maybe file the frets?). Hope some of these work.

Tags
edge trem , spring cavity , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode