out of tune - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

out of tune

my rg550 is getting on my nerves in terms of the intonation and fret buzzing, would a refret solve my problems and is there anything i can do short term to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 02:46 PM

Send it to me ;-) I'll fix it (roots around searching for twatting stick) Seriously dude,Have you tried New strings,setting intonation again,neck relief etc...? If your passing MK at any point drop in and i'll look at it for you,Just gimme a moments notice lol

If you wanna get the postage i'll set it up that way

Alternatively,threaten it,Scare it a little ;-)

Rob (must really stop drinking at some point)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Vendor

You're not providing a whole lot of information
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

mint. you'd probably throw the guitar back at me, the finish has been seriously destroyed with burning and nail varnish, long story. the guitar has peed me off for quite a while now, i've blocked the trem, and concentrated more on playing rather than fannying with the bar like i used to, anyway, the bottom string has buzzing more or less all over it, the 14th fret of the g string resonates really horribly like it's catching on another fret, i've put the action up a bit, hasnt helped much with the buzzing. one question, why does the action on guitars, most that ive played anyway, go in a slope up towards the last frets, can i have uniform action so its not higher at the 24th fret? i tried putting a shim in the neck pocket a while ago but it didnt do much. i think i just need to alter the neck bow, but if anyone could give me some advice on how much bow or anything that would be helpful. thanx
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

lossened the truss rod because i didnt have much clearance on 7th fret, however, this seems to have made the problem worse, i have horrid buzzing on the 11th fret of the e and a strings, the playability else where seems better but the lower strings are gross sounding. tried the truss rod both ways, clockwise makes the action terrible and the playabilty terrible, other way makes action lower playabilty better but buzzing on 11th fret is worse, but either way the buzzing is there. i wouldnt say my action is too low either but like i said it gets higher towards the 24th fret which i hate.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Vendor

Sounds like you have some uneven or popped frets, in combination with other possible problems. Considering your tech skill level you probably should have a tech check it out.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 04:09 AM

or take a hammer to it,and finish it off ... Mwahahahahahaha

My offer stands dude,drop by sometime ;-)

Rob (owner of many hammers aka twatting sticks)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 04:13 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK

My offer stands dude,drop by sometime ;-)
Didn't even catch that, and falls in line with my advice
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

"considering your tech skill"!!! hahaha, we cant all be brilliant rich
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

i could do with a new neck that actually plays instead of this thin piece of turd, however, ibanez being clever dont offer that option, no offence.
one more thing i dont know why but the guitar keeps going out of tune, and the intonation seems suddenly terrible.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodros
i could do with a new neck that actually plays instead of this thin piece of turd, however, ibanez being clever dont offer that option, no offence.
one more thing i dont know why but the guitar keeps going out of tune, and the intonation seems suddenly terrible.
If you don't like the thin neck, why did you buy the guitar?

RG's are known to have the thinnest necks around, if you want more 'meat' you should have gone for something else . .

Aside from that, everything you mentioned can most likely be fixed.

If you're reffering to the idea that the neck is defective, or damaged past repair, Ibanez DOES offer replacement necks, you just have to send them the old one, pay for the new one (unless it's still new and they decide it's defective) and they'll gladly send you a new one.

Mic
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

sorry! i know ibanez do the neck replacement thing, i was referring to the fact that you can buy strat necks and replacements. anyway i bought the guitar because i wanted a guitar with a good floyd on it, after i had bought the rg270 and destroyed it, but i still liked the neck on the guitar. as ive progressed as a player ive come to realise that this neck doesnt feel comfortable when playing lead, and seen as though i play faster things now than i did when i bought it, i realise that the neck doesnt suit my hand for faster playing styles. there.
if i had the money to get a new guitar, im afraid the hammer would come out right now. i'd keep the dimarzios mind.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 01:15 PM

Dude,I have maybe a solution for you,I have a very clubby (strat'esque) Kramer neck sitting here doing nowt ... Ah feck,22 fret .. Soz

Don't mind me,I'm just thick !!!

Rob (off in search of stripper for rg7 ... look out it's getting attacked)
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodros
"considering your tech skill"!!! hahaha, we cant all be brilliant rich
That wasn't meant to be condecending of course, just sounds like allot of different things could be wrong and a headache for anybody with just a basic setup knowledge to sort out. Byall means try if you have a good supply of aspirin
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

dont worry about it rich! i dont really have a clue anyway, just common sense, well some. one problem with that kramer neck, all access neck joint. thanx anyway for the advice. i wanted a custom neck, and i made a few enquiries the guy i asked was wanting about 300 quid for it, i think i made a thread before but i'd love a neck with the JS dimensions but a 24 fretter to fit my rg body.

Tags
access neck joint , fret buzz , lower strings , neck bow , neck joint , neck relief , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode