Overtightened neck screws? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Question Overtightened neck screws?

Hi,
basically I just want to know how you can find out if you overtightened the screws that hold the neck in the neckpocket?
I removed the neck on my UV777BK to clean it up. The screws were on there very tight already and I put them back on really really tight (what that means is basically that I turned them until they stopped and would not turn any more (duh) - I didnt use brute force but still a strong grip).
So now I keep reading "do not OVERtighten" blah blah... and that the wood can be compressed and so on.
The guitar seems fine and I didnt notice anything bad, but am worried that maybe due to climate change it could crack or... well I dont know, thats why Im asking if I should be worried or all is good as long as I didnt break anything.

Would it be better maybe to loosen the screws a little and screw them back in with a somewhat softer grip? Or would that do more harm than good due to friction (the screws wearing out the wood of the neck by doing so?). Should I just leave it as is?

Oh btw Im in Florida, so the climate is hot and we usually have high humidity (in case that makes a difference).

Id appreciate it if somebody could shed some light on this, this is really buggin me right now.

Thanks,
Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 PM

Re: Overtightened neck screws?

I myself have a propensity for overtightening things.
I've learned though that "hand tight" is good enough.
the important thing is to check the entire guitar to make sure that everything is good and snug. I usually do this while changing strings.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:11 PM

"propensity", i like that

but yes, some of us have learned things the hard way... i have found with wood, it's better to undertighten, than to overtighten.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:40 AM

Well, yeah, but not with neck screws. You should tighten neck screws pretty hard. Unless they're going to strip, then a tight fit will only improve vibration transfer and tuning stability. But the worst thing is if they start to strip out. Then in reality it's even looser than if you had tightened it mildly but with good thread bite.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Re: Overtightened neck screws?

Hi and thanks for your replies y´all.

Frank, thats what I had in mind when I tightened the screws, I thought it must be good for sustain and overall sound when theyre real tight.
Also, when they are starting to strip you can actually feel them getting easier to turn, right?
I used common sense when tightening them or so I thought, I just hope I had enough of that .

Erik

PS: Any advice on how to notice that youre stripping the threads, in general?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 PM

If turning the screws feels "mushy" when you're tightening them, guess what?

Here's a pretty good rule of thumb . . . hand tight, then about an eighth of turn more, no more. If the chords are standing out on your neck YOU'RE GOING TOO FAR! LOL

But you may be stronger than I am, so hand tight to you is different than hand tight to me, just use common sense and you should be okay and it's actually not that hard to dowel and re-drill the holes if you screw it up.

I think Rich once mentioned a torque in ft/lbs that is supposed to be ideal for neck bolts, but I don't remember what it was and have no desire to search for it now. :-)

Mic
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 12:12 PM

If you have a cordless electric screwdriver use that as they tend to lock up before they overtighten things
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Overtightened neck screws?

Well no I dont have an electric screwdriver but I actually took the neck off again yesterday to inspect it (I thought hey if its broken already then this wont hurt it, and if its allright then I must have done it right in the first place ) and it looked just fine, no cracks or anything, and when I put it back on it had plenty of grip and I screwed it on nice and tight again. I think my biggest fear was that a change in climate could have cracked it if the screws were on there too tight. But I guess that wasnt justified and Im just worrying too much. Well its my dream guitar after all and I waited 6 long years to get it so... hope you guys understand I just want the best for my UV

Erik

Tags
neck bolts , neck screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode